1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bigger plow better?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ksland, Dec 2, 2002.

1. ksland

ksland Senior Member
    from ma

I have a question, just recently bought a 1986 k20 plow truck. I have a 7 1/2 and a 8' blade both in equal (ok) shape. I am going to keep on and sandblast and paint it but not sure which one. What is the big deal 6" bigger? Which should I use? The truck doesn't have and front end sag issues with either but I am not sure I would even notice a difference between the two.:(

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

You'll probably want the 8'er. Reason is to keep your wheels in the plowed area as much as possible. Best way to figure it is to measured your wheel track width, then figure how much angle you can have before you're in the unplowed snow. Reason for putting 7'6"s on 1500s or 1/2 ton trucks is usually to hold down the weight. Like you said, this wouldn't be an issue.

3. Acorn

Acorn Senior Member

I've plowed with both an 8' and 7.5'. What you use might depend on how tight of an area you have to plow. If it's a larger parking lot... 6" makes a difference...si my wife says:D

4. jkkalbers

jkkalbers Senior Member

I switched from an 8' to 8' 6" on most of my trucks, and I think there is a big difference in parking lots. Driveways not much difference though.

5. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

If you dont become over weight & sag, go with the largest one your customers will take.

If thay are wide open then bigger is better.
    On small ones the small one will get get you in thoes tight spots.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2002