1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bigger Alterantor, just how much

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by vincent, Oct 14, 2008.

1. vincent

vincent Senior Member

Currently have a 125amp alternator on my 08 canyon. With the plow, mini bar, back up lights, a beacon for the spreader, and other things, such as heater, heated mirrors, wipers, radio so on.

Is this alternator big enough or should I go for a 200 amp?

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

If you need more reserve power think about adding a second battery instead

3. Farm Boss

Farm Boss Senior Member

I added a second battery to my trucks. Run all the same things that you do. No dim lights or heator draining down when you angle plow. Works great, agree with snofarmer.

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

As far as plow equipped trucks and alternators go...bigger is better plain and simple. :nod:

How does the truck work with it's current 125 amp? Will it keep the battery voltage maintained during extended plowing operations?

5. vincent

vincent Senior Member

I can't answer that question, Truck has only 4k miles on it, and just got the plow last week.

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Thats what I thought. Don't bother doing anything with it until you see how it works as there's plenty of plow trucks running around out there with the stock alternators. One of mine included....:)

Last edited: Oct 14, 2008
  7. vincent

vincent Senior Member

Ok, here's another related question, should the extra lights, mini bar and beacon be "hard wired"? Common sense tells me they should.

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Verses what Vince?

9. vincent

vincent Senior Member

cig lighter. It seems with that much amperage going on for long periods of time would not be good, espesically in a plastic tube.

But then again I don't know for sure and its why I ponder the question.

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

No the cig lighter definitely isn't going to handle that work load. 10 amp TOTAL is about all they'll take, and not for extended periods of time without frying the socket.

Need to hardwire. :nod:

11. vincent

vincent Senior Member

Thanks

Now Mike, all you have to do is tell me what mini bar & beacon to buy and your job will be done for now.:)

12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Those items are the same as underwear Vince...simply personal preference, gotta try them out. :D

13. F250 Boss v

F250 Boss v Senior Member

Please correct me if I'm wrong or misunderstood something, but running a cig. lighter on an LED light bar that has minimal amp. draw is ok, -if he has an LED mini bar. Then for that item anyway, it becomes personal preference as to whether or not he wants to hardwire or simply put it on for the plowing season, using a cig. lighter plug, and take it off when done. One of the major considerations for going with LED's, at least for me, was the low amperage draw. Just a thought...

14. vincent

vincent Senior Member

I'm starting to get crossed eye from looking at lights, just reccomend something so I can be done with it.

Heeeeeeeelp.

Its like going to walgreens and getting something for a headache(which I have from looking at lights), toooooo many choices.

15. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Still didn't decide on the 420 for sure yet? Good light for the money like I mentioned to you the other day..hint hint. ;)

16. vincent

vincent Senior Member

Thanks, I will put that on a back rack.

17. F250 Boss v

F250 Boss v Senior Member

I agree with B&B, but you might want to also consider a Whelen Mini LED Liberty, -small, reliable, very bright, and very low amperage draw. I do run a, mag. mount with cig. lighter. I take it off at the end of the season!

18. vincent

vincent Senior Member

You have a part # and best place to buy?

19. MECHMAN

MECHMAN Junior Member
    from 37924

Suplemental battery will help, but a stock alternator can lead a hard life keeping up 2 batts + a plow, depending on how often and how the plow is used. Going to a physically larger alternator (not just an overwound AD237) will help it live longer through periods of extended plowing.

20. ColliganLands

ColliganLands PlowSite.com Addict

you can the led mini liberty online just about anywhere that sells lights galls,sirennet,swps,lshlights to name a few all have them and the price will vary slightly froms ite to site. i have a full size liberty and couldnt be happier with it. the quality is great and the instensity of the lights is awesome
    also i run the stock alternator and a 2 battery setup (6.0L diesel)