1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Big Truck Syndrome

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by PowersTree, Dec 28, 2010.

1. PowersTree

PowersTree Senior Member

I'm so tired of reading all this bashing on the Jeep and S10 crowd.

Why do you all think you MUST HAVE a 1 ton diesel, just to plow?

A properly equipped little truck, can plow snow just as safely as your big truck. Yes, your big truck will move more snow, faster, these little trucks have their place. I will be adding one next year, to get where my big trucks (3/4 ton GM's) have a hard time.

Instead of just bashing these guys, actually listen em out and help. The point of my thread is the guy who battled the blizzard in his half ton Dodge. If someone would just chimed in from the get to add weight, the thread would have actually been pleasant to read. Instead all I see is "buy a real truck" type answers.
  2. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

a fellow forum member here ran a 95' ram 1/2 ton with a boss 9'2" vee and a 8' back blade for years and years. he plowed circles around most of the "big boys" just because he could turn around in less than 5 minutes.

he later built a 250 SD with a boss vee and a geerlig 16' expanding BB and hated it. bigger is not always better.
  3. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

You must understand that many of the MEN on plowsite have WAY too much testosterone (or there over compensating for feelings of homo... ) and are NOT interested in the right tool for the job. If a finishing hammer is 6 Oz then a 2 pound finishing hammer will be faster.

In the words of Tim the Toolman Tyler "BIG truck... BIG plow... LOUD Exhaust" Arrr Arrr, ARR....
  4. PowersTree

PowersTree Senior Member

I think its small manhood syndrome myself.

Most of my plowing hours have been spent in dumps trucks, so I can appreciate a big truck. GMC 5500 4x4 with a 10' MC Fisher, has been my favorite ride so far, but even that gets stuck, and when they do, its usually ugly.

The dudes Ram I'm referring to, sounds like it'll plow circles around a stock 3/4 ton, once he tips the scales at the same weight as the 3/4 ton. Its ALL about the weight.
  5. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

I agree and I've been saying it for a while. I think (know) a lot of people that way over-truck themselves. I proved it to myself last year when I had an F250 with a 7.5' plow with wings and a Wrangler with a 7'2" light duty plow and I was able to cut HOURS off of the route I'd done for years with big trucks. One of the people I worked for would only let me use the F250 when I plowed for him even though I knew I'd be faster in these tiny/mid-sized lots with the Jeep. Yes, big trucks have their place, but smaller trucks do fine for me. To each their own, but I completely agree with the big-truck-compensation on here. More truck, more lights = more man, right?
  6. tailboardtech

tailboardtech Senior Member

when i was plowing for my dad i used to plow with a 86 Chevy 3/4 ton short bed with the bed/ frame shortened a additional 1 1/2 foot i could run laps around my dad he has a fullsize 1 ton pickup. now its a donor truck since it caught fire dam chipmunks
  7. diesel dave 04

diesel dave 04 Senior Member

I use 2 full size 1992 ford broncos I only do small lots and drive ways. But they work well I can go into a driveway and spin around and come back out. the 8.5 V and 4 hundred pounds in the back and it works well. You do need to keep up when it is heavy wet snow. People say the 8.5 V is to much but i think it works well the v makes it much easyer on the truck when you need to bust through deep snow.
  8. scrad

scrad Junior Member

I ran a new SD Diesel last yr and a lifted toyota pickup with a 6.5 western plow. Customers used to come out and watch how much snow the little yota would push. It worked amazing. It was great for tight areas and driveways. they each had specific sites they were good for. I have two SD's this yr because i took on more commercial but im going to put together another mini truck and i have a two meter meyer for it. Theres a reason why you see so many jeeps and small trucks with plows.
  9. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

love my 79 k30 with 8ft and 9ft fishers.

but man do i miss my good old 1992 honda trx300 4x4 with a 4ft blade and rear chains.

so yes big is nice but small is nice to . wesport
  10. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

The biggest objection I see on here to half ton trucks and jeeps is that they are not designed for the severe duty that is plowing and thus the maintenance costs and repair incidences increase significantly compared to a 3/4 ton or 1 ton.
    I have seen many drives where a jeep or S series size truck would be able to plow where my 3/4 cannot, but for the long haul I simply don't take on such customers.
  11. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

It all depends on the person behind the wheel, someone can run a jeep for years and not have a problem, and another person could run a 1ton and break everytime they go out..
  12. Westhardt Corp.

Westhardt Corp. Senior Member

FWIW, a smart fleet will spec gas engine'd plow trucks for a variety of reasons (especially after the roll out of 2010 emissions). I can elaborate if this concept baffles anyone.

Small trucks work, but the real "issue" is longevity. They just don't take the beating well, no matter how nice you are to them. For tight stuff, Jeeps can't be beat, as far as road going vehicles go. For anything else a 135" WB (reg cab LB) 2500 truck generally does very well. Crew cabs are for sidewalk crews and parking lots.

There is no reason in the world to "have to have" a CC/LB diesel dualie to plow with unless you do lots of big lots and run a big v-box.
  13. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

I started with a Grand Wagoneer, its a half ton, but rides and drives like a car, I could run circles around the 250 I have now, but it was junk when I got it, and the frame rusted in two. so it had to go. I had a way to heavy plow on it, but it worked just fine.

I am going to add at least one if not 2 rigs for the next year, one will be a small cherokee or a full sized bronco at the least, the cherokee would be idea.

I have a couple apartment/4plex that I do, the 250 makes it harder as I have a time just turning around, 4 of them me and my ground man can do by hand faster then using the truck....

so I say, if it works, well use it. if it breaks then fix it! its all about making money, not putting on a show, if that was the case I would be in a car show!
  14. Westhardt Corp.

I had a sub with a 1500 once, and the problem was not the truck or the 1st generation Boss V. It was that he didn't know how to plow very well, or think "ahead" when stacking.
  15. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

Back many moons ago...We had 4 Toyota SR5 Pick-ups....All Had 6' 7" Fisher Plows and 3 of them had Back Blades....Those were Great Driveway and Condo/ Apartment Rigs....payup
  16. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

Maby its just me but I dont see how a 1/2 ton can run laps around a 1 ton gas or diesel... There's no difference is the steering ability if you have gm's... Again it comes down to operator, maby the 1/2 ton wount break if it has a good operator, but the 1 ton will fit everywhere the half ton does if it has a good operator... You gotta compare apples to apples...

A jeep and a regular cab short box 3/4 ton are most likely very very comparable... Altho I've never used a jeep before...
  17. theplowmeister

from MA

I dont think any one said the 1/2 tone was better than the 3/4 ton.

Jeep compared to a short bed :p

Lets see

can see the plow when its on the ground helps to get close without running into stuff
    shorter by FEET than a short PU
    light weight

short PU
    cant see plow on ground
    just as wide as a FS PU

Ive used both
    No comparison the jeep will fly around a short PU (not plowing wally world)
  18. Westhardt Corp.

Except for that little detail of "they don't make reg cab short bed 2500s"

19. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

haha true enough... I still dont think that just cause something has a slighly tigher turning radius and is shorter its gonna dramatically speed up plowing to the tune of it taking double the time.... Unless everthing you do is really small condo's and even still.... JMO
  20. theplowmeister

from MA

I plow driveways only driveways and yes it is that much faster on driveways

most of my driveways are L shaped or have a turn around I can remember trying to get my F150 to even fit in the turnaround let alone plow it.