1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

big townhomes communities

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by TPC Services, Oct 23, 2006.

1. TPC Services

TPC Services Senior Member

Got another question which way would be best on bidding a 120 drive townhome commuity with what we call sub let roads off the main roads I have two differant styles of communities one has the garages tucked under the homes and just the access roads in front. should I bid for just the roads or the timeto plow the roads and a small fee for each garage?
    the other is which way sould I bid on ones that have say a 20 drives we guess it would take 10hrs for one truck to do 120 drives at 5 minutes a drive. and then another 3hrs to do the access streets so a total of 13hrs or should I bid it a flat fee for each drive and the hours do to the streets?

2. MnM

MnM Senior Member

i have a similar community and I would stick with drives seperate from roads and a flat fee for both. THis way if you finish it up in no time you dont get burnt. I have 125 drives took 15 hrs last year with 18" on the ground and hope I can cut it to 8 this year with the pullback and 1.5 miles of roadway that I could do in 2 hrs by myself with a 810

3. TPC Services

it took you that long with all that equipment?? I was hoping to get the one that actully has 120 dives get it done in 2 to 3hrs with two trucks doing the drives and 2 to 3 guys on snow blowers doing sidewalks and drives.

4. MnM

MnM Senior Member

only had the blower and everytime we went up a driveway we made a big pile in front of the garage. Thats why the pullback will kill it in conjunction with the blower

5. TPC Services

wish we would see a 18" snow have not see that kind of snow in Iowa since 00' before that probably when I was a little guy was the last time we seen big snow. Had one plow aevent last year , the rest of the year it would snow at night and be gone by that afternoon!!

6. tjlands

tjlands Senior Member

Wow that is a long time to do a Townhouse driveway, 5 minutes.
    I do several large sites with 200 plus driveways and sidewalks and the truck work would be done in a couple hours tops. At least two trucks per site. Sidewalk crews would then come in and clean up the drives while doing the walks. I would have enough manpower to do the walks in 3-4 hours tops. Over 10 hours in a residential site is way to long. In the 18 inch snow fall we had last year I had tractors or bobcats with pushers doing the drives.
    It sounds like you are in over your head if it takes 13hrs to do one site. You too MnM 15 hours one site?
    However I do not like to bid by the hour for anything, ever. I suggest you do the same.
    I refuse to get penalized for having the best equipment for plowing fast. I would give them a flat fee either per push or per event(2" 4" 6" whatever). This way they know what a six inch storm will cost them,a four inch storm etc. No surprises. The only thing that is ever charged by the hour would be extra loader work to move piles of snow.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2006
  7. csonallandscape

csonallandscape Junior Member

tylands i have a quick Question

what do u mean that u will give them a price four a 2,4,6 inch of snowfall. does that mean u charge them different prices each time it snow different inches.

8. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

In the past we have done lots of townhomes and condo. We would average 13 - 17 driveways per hour per truck depending on amounts. That is the same guys doing the same drives each time so they figure out the short cutsxysport

9. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

You have to charge more money with more snow. You will take more time and move more snow. A friend of mine explained it like this.....Excavators charge more money for more dirt they move or cut or truck, you have to treat snow just like dirt the more you move the more it cost!!

10. tjlands

tjlands Senior Member

yes the more snow the higher the price. I give prices based on total event snowfall.
    So say a 3" storm would be $4500.00
    A 6" storm would be $7000.00 and so-on

11. tjlands

tjlands Senior Member

How long are these and how wide? they must be pretty big. Most of our Townhouse drives are 30 ft long or less, 20 ft wide or less.

12. TPC Services

this company wants it done by two differant times ,over night drives need done by 6:30am if snowing during the day need clear by 5:00pm and start one hour after the snow stops flying . lets say we have 3 inches around 3am and its still snowing and another 3 during the day. do I do it in one trip after it stops or one before 6:30am and then go out again before 5pm and do it again ?

13. tjlands

tjlands Senior Member

I guess by company you are talking about a mgt co. Pretty standard practice that during the work week that roads are to be reasonably cleared in the early morning hours so everyone can get to work. Then when the snow stops you finish, as quickly as possible.
    The 5pm thing is the same, the homeowners(who are paying you) want to be able to drive to their townhouse and park their cars with as little problem as possible. The association has come up with these guidelines because that is what they want. Try your best to keep them happy and they will keep you around.