1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Big Storm in Nova Scotia

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PJB, Nov 15, 2004.

1. PJB

PJB Junior Member

I have been wishing for snow for the last two weeks to try out my new Blizzard plow. I guess I wished too hard. We got 24" of wet snow on saturday and Sunday. Local guys who plow private roads in the area had to park their plows and hire back hoes or loaders, the snow was just too heavy and deep.

Power has been out for two days and some areas won't have it back before the end of the week according to the power company. It took down 4 steel towers. 200,000 people without power.

Attached are a few pictures after I managed to clear my driveway.

pic1.jpg

pic2.jpg

pic3.jpg

pic4.jpg

pic5.jpg

2. PlowMan03

PlowMan03 Senior Member
    from Maine

Nothing like plowing while the ground is soft :realmad: Gotta hate it.......I know I do.

3. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

4. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Nice, same storm dumped 6" on us before it headed for the maritimes :nod:

5. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I'll have to disagree with you Boast, there is nothing cool about 24" of heavy, wet snow.

That's one heck of a storm. I hope you made it through without any equipment breakdowns. I couldn't even comprehend how to start moving that much wet snow at once.

6. PJB

PJB Junior Member

Heavy plowing

Hi Mark,

I tried to plow with the blade angled and after about 20' the truck went sideways instead of the snow. All I could do was bash to the left, bash to the right and gradually make my way ahead. My Blizzard 800HD worked well and sustained no damage except for the decals coming off which ssems to be pretty standard.

7. Mark Oomkes

Glad to hear it. You can ruin a lot of equipment in a hurry trying to move snow like that. The most wet snow I've probably ever tried to push has been 8-10", and that's been awhile. Light, fluffy lake effect on the other hand is a lot of fun, especially when you have 22". You don't even need brakes. :D

8. PJB

PJB Junior Member

Perhaps the most interesting thing about it is the fact that this is the first time I have ever plowed! Maybe scary is a better word than interesting.

I didn't get a chance to put any ballast in the truck, that probably would have helped a bit.

9. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

I'd say that probably would have helped alot . :nod:

10. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I'll take anything mother nature wants to throw at me. :nod:

11. apkole

apkole Member

Sooo, Mark Oomkes, is ya ready? Done picking the leaves of'n them trees? We've started doing some mechanical prep work, but are still hammering away at the shingles. Care to make a first plowable snow prediction for this year? I don't think we will make it 'til the end of December like we did in '03. Whaddya think?

Great pix from Nova Scotia. You can keep it there for awhile, IMHO.

Andy

12. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

24" of snow either fluff or wet I don't want to see it. I am very happy with anything under 6". Pictures are great and it looks fantastic when it is pure white. Good thing it happened on the weekend!

13. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i wouldnt mine moving up there the winters are longer or like buffalo

14. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

PJB you might need a set of Timbrens on that Honda with all that snow on the roof :drinkup:

15. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Nothing like "learning under fire". After that, it's going it's going to seem pretty tame.

Sounds like you did just fine :drinkup: .

16. Mark Oomkes

24" of fluff is a lot of fun. It makes for long nights, but it's fun. Equipment works pretty hard, but not nearly as bad as trying to push wet stuff.

APKole, we can be ready in a matter of a couple hours. Still working on leaves, been a good year for that. No predictions, been sort of wierd weather again. A month or two ago, I would have thought we would have plowed by now. I hate to say it, but it's been a long time since we've had a lot of wet stuff like that.

17. snoluvr

snoluvr Senior Member
    from RI

We got 22" in three days last december..I didn't make it home for almost 4 days...But made enought to cover the truck payments for 6 months!!! nothing wrong with the white stuff, but I can make just as much having a bunch of 4 inch storms.