1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Big snow bid help

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by grassguy123, Jan 4, 2010.

1. grassguy123

grassguy123 Junior Member
    from NJ

I am working on a lawn landscape and snow bid for a local university, and i have never priced out a job this big.

Durring snow storms this job will be managed by myself and my brother and we will sub out all the work.
    They have salt piles and skid steers to load the salt.

Parking lot=35 acres
    Sidewalks=90,000 sq ft

Pricing:
    Parking lot plowing=?
    Parking lot salting=?
    Sidewalk plowing=?
    Sidewalk salting=?

What do i pay the sbus=

I am new to this type of snow plowing, thanks in advance for your help.

2. ColumbiaLand

ColumbiaLand Senior Member

what are the specs of the rfp?

3. grassguy123

from NJ

plow every 2in and salt as needed

4. grassguy123

from NJ

Unfortunately due to the fact that i have a big landscaping company in order to get the landscape bid i need to provide the snow services. id rather not but thats just a part of life. sometimes you have to do what you dont want to do. I will be subbing everything out so i wont be buying any new equipment and i promise i wont bring the cost of services down for you

5. cleansweep007

cleansweep007 Senior Member

Do a search on here to find out specs and possibly help with prices. We can't just give you all the info you are going to need to figure out your hourly charges for your men and equipment.

6. emerson

emerson Junior Member

Don't you have some equipment that could be used for moving snow that sits during the winter? Are all your employees summer only? The biggest hurdle to a snow moving business is the knowledge and organization to run a business. You already have that together. With a contract, anyone can get equipment. You already have employee contacts. If you use subs, they will be working for less than you would, and so will provide an inferior service in the long run. That reduced service will cost you job performance and good will from your customer. Also, any sub that starts to make decent money with you, will soon want to cut you out of the food chain. If they don't understand business, they will be another lowballer with enough money to compete with you. In the long run their business will fail, but you will lose money competing with them. You should get equipment and employees together that will work almost full time through the winter, and only hire subs for above average snows, to save your ass. The more money you channel to startout companies, the more uneducated business competitors you will have. A big contract like that is something to build a business around. Don't give any possible competitors a leg up. Most small companies would KILL for volume work like that.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
  7. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

Well, for something like that, I would probably price it out hourly per piece of equipment. That's the fairest way to do it, and you cover yourself. If they don't like that idea, then you need to figure out how long it's gonna take you. As far as salting, charge them per pound applied, plus an hourly spreader fee. That way, it's fair to both sides no matter how much you salt. If you do "spot salting" then you charge them for your time and what you use.

Actually I didn't see that they will provide the salt. In that case, just give them an hourly rate for your truck and spreader. That should be an easy way to make money.

8. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

Grassguy, where in NJ are you? If you're in the right place I'd bid the snow for you as a sub...........At 35 acres of parking he's talking about alot more than a truck and spreader..........A large location like that here in NJ will likely not entertain an hourly bid.

9. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

youll probaly be takin
    6 hrs with 2 trucks, and use 3-5 tons of salt

10. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

11. cretebaby

Either do what Emerson said or just sub out the whole winter portion to one larger contractor.

12. ajslands

you forgot to say i hit it right on the nail

13. cretebaby

That's because you didn't.

14. ajslands

was it a screw?

15. cretebaby

Sure :dizzy: