1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

big!! scare today

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by meyer t-5, Jan 29, 2009.

1. meyer t-5

meyer t-5 Junior Member
    from erie

i just wanted to tell you guys about a big scare i had today. i was plowing a gravel driveway today and my plow cought an edge and went under my truck and had my front tires about 3 feet off the ground and stayed there untill i backed up. it snaped the lift chain and bent the A frame a little and scared the crap out of me i didnt think that it could do that. just thought you guys would get a kick out of that.

2. Snowaway

Snowaway Senior Member

Son of a B#$@ , how fast were you going ? :cry:

3. meyer t-5

meyer t-5 Junior Member
    from erie

maybe 5-10mph at the most i dont know why the trip springs didnt stop it but i was scary as heck. i wish i could of got a picture of it

4. Snowaway

Snowaway Senior Member

Wow I thought you were gonna say 25-30. I think I am going to be nervous till I forget you said that. I have been out raming ice piles all day (gently). What a ride!

5. meyer t-5

meyer t-5 Junior Member
    from erie

ya and its not like im plowing with a s-10 or something little. i have a 95 gmc 1500 with a 7.5' meyer and 6" suspention lift so that was like 4000-5000 pounds sitting on that plow. but at least i didnt break my truck or anything i just fixed the chain and kept right on plowing (carefully).

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Because like many of the older Meyer plows the pivot pins are likely froze up from lack of grease.

Might wanna get that one fixed real soon. ;)

7. GPS

GPS Senior Member
    from MA

With the 6" lift, is the a-frame already pointed downwards away from the truck at normal ride height, or did you modify the push beam to level it?

8. 04sd

04sd Senior Member
    from pa

I'd assume along with the 6" lift it's also got big tires which lift it even more. That means you'd probably need to drop the push point on the frame 8-10" to get the A-frame level. Pin height for an ST series plow is 10.5".

9. meyer t-5

meyer t-5 Junior Member
    from erie

ya i have the push beam lowered so the plow sits right. and i only run 265 on it there my winter tires i run 35" tires on it in the summer. ill have to make sure the pivit pins are free and greased

10. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

And you didnt take any pics? JK.

I had a scare of my own this morning. Around 2 AM (in a rather unpleasant part of town) an Escalade cuts in front of me while I was approaching a green light doing about 60km, gets into the left turn lane and suddenly stops. All the doors except for the drivers burst open and 3 guys jump out, and I'm thinking Holy F$&*-,I'm gonna get jacked...then they all run across the intersection for a waiting transit bus.

11. timberseal

timberseal Senior Member
    from 46385

The push bar should be level withthe ground by westerns standards. With a 6" lift it may still be angling down.

12. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

ya i wouldve been locking the doors too

13. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

Funny thing is my window was right down as I was trying to keep alert, and the truck I was driving didnt have power locks.

14. Clint S

Clint S Senior Member

And good luck on that if they are frozen in they probably will not come out. I had to cut my old ones out and reweld new tubes in place. I then drilled and tapped for grease fittings.

15. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

i snapped and bent an a frame a coupleof weeks ago. i put some pics up in the picture forum. I hit a manhole and snap. Once i had it off i saw how bad it was bent also.here is the link to the pics of the old and new A frame.

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=76771

16. meyer t-5

meyer t-5 Junior Member
    from erie

ya i would say that a frame was bent to heck mine didnt bend that bad. thank god

17. Tomtsled

Tomtsled Junior Member

When my brother worked for a town highway department years back, he hooked the tip of a highway plow on a tree root while driving a big International dump and ended up with the truck on top of that plow. He only had the left rear wheel on the ground. He said it was a pretty big jump from the cab to the ground.