1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Big question--need some solid answers or opinions

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by milkie62, Aug 26, 2013.

1. milkie62

milkie62 Senior Member
    from Troy,NY

I will be retiring in a couple of years at age 56.The place I work has a large lot for about 700 cars broken up by islands so there is 4 lots.Also there are 50 tractor trailer dock doors.That area is about 3.5 tractor trailers deep.I was able to plow an area with one of the companies pickups,so I have an idea how long it will take.I cannot bid it now since conflict of interest.I have thought about using a couple of 150 HP 4wd tractors with pusher blades attched to front end loaders.Also these would also have rear back blades for dock doors.A couple of pickups for tight areas with one having a salter since I know they get around $1200-1300 per salting.Anybody against using an Ag type tractor.The bid is in the $65k per year.Salt is stored on site and they require equipment on site.They also pay $200/hr for a loader and dumptruck to move large piles to the rear of the building.My nephew has a large single axle dump that he uses for firewood with racks for mulch--about 10-11 yds so that area is covered since it is only a short distance to the rear of the building and I could bid that part a bit less since he does not use it in the winter. Thanks for any replies....
  2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Many guys run tractors exclusively
  3. born2farm

born2farm 2000 Club Member

JDdave should be chiming in. He uses quite a few ag tractors with front mount pushers. The only comment I will make is that you might want to find a use for them in the off season. They are not cheap to purchase.
  4. milkie62

milkie62 Senior Member
    from Troy,NY

Only problem with the off season is they are used pretty hard chisel plowing.I have found pretty decent used ones .I would not expect much of a profit the first year but the second year would work out much better.I have watched the guys who bid it now over the years and have learned from their mistakes and keep notes.Plus having done some of it,I have a good feel for the job and people all ready lined up that would work for me.
    A local Walmart has 2 Ag tractors plowing near me and they seem to do a great job without the cost of having one of the big loaders on site.
  5. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

It doesn't say where your located (I'm on the mobile app). AG tractors are very popular in Canada they also can be leased up there for reasonable numbers. I would forgo a tractor loader mounted pusher for a wing plow there are several manufactures (Storm & Metal plesis I believe most common), I probably screwed up spelling.
  6. mud

mud Senior Member

Instead of buying the tractors have you thought about leasing some from local farmers for the winter months. The majority of the tractors on my farm sit all winter long with the exception of one utility sized tractor and a skid loader that I use for daily feeding. The same will go for most farms. Once hay and crop farming is done most tractors sit the rest of the year and may farmers would like to have that extra income coming in in those winter months from a machine that they don't need in the winter. It would also be a source of pretty darn good operators if you worked it right.
  7. DodgeRam1985

DodgeRam1985 Member
    from Ohio

I wouldn't worry about the off season use of them (chisel plowing), it's really two very different types of force you are putting on the tractor (plowing snow is the front end and pushing for the most part, and plowing ground is more of a pulling force on the rear end). Keep in mind too that most AG tractors were meant for heavy use and abuse. I don't want to start a war with this, but I will say that I'm a bigger fan of using custom made buckets on the loader as opposed to a push box or similar set up (while I do see the better ability to clear faster with the push box or "plow", in my situations large piles aren't acceptable, they need to be smaller and higher, so the loader works best for me). Your situation may be different, unless you are having to pick snow up and dump it in a truck to move, then you are going to need a loader bucket or something similar. Not sure how much Agriculture is around you in NY state, but here in Ohio, used equipment is going pretty cheap with a lot of guys buying new paint and trading in the old
  8. milkie62

milkie62 Senior Member
    from Troy,NY

Your area is where I made my spring purchase of a 6800 Kubota.I probably saved between $8 & 10k vs buying it in my area.
  9. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

So how long after you retire will you wait for it NOT to be a conflict of interest???
  10. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Probalbly about 5 minutes ! A friend of mine works as a cad draftsman at a local dental supply business. He also has the contract to clean the facilities as a sub contractor. Been doing this for 15 years now. When he retires next year he's going to keep the cleaning, 35 K a year! sweet gig. (I do the snowplowing, he better not buy a truck!)