1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Big Problems & towing

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by CJsSnowplowing, Jan 30, 2010.

1. The power steering pulley broke off.. Had to be towed Due to 1 belt runs all. Just before closing time for the day at in the repair garage.
    CLOSED on Saturdays Sundays & Holidays. BUT has 24 hours towing.

Somehow the sump base & valve body got a crack in them.
  2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

That sucks
  3. the_experience

the_experience Member

Did the pulley itself break or did the shaft shear? The shafts actually have a shear zone in them and are designed to do that. You see it happen a lot on GM stuff. I know Cardone will not warranty a pump that had the shaft shear because it is due to a failure in another component of the system. Usuallys it's the hoses breaking down. Chunks of stuff get lodged in the pressure relief valves and rather than let the pump build pressure until it explodes the shafts shear. If the shaft shears you are supposed to replace the lines and the steering gear/rack and pinion, but it can get expensive to do so so I would recommend just replacing the lines and then flushing the system.

If just the pulley broke I'd chalk it up to those fine quality parts on vehicles these days and order up a replacement from Dorman.
  4. The weld broke on the pulley. The part that sides over the shaft is still on.
    This part has 211,????.? miles on it. As far I know it is original part 1991. Hoses were replaced & system was flush when steers box was removed for a pit-man arm replacing. Shaft spins freely.

Water or condensation got in & froozed. The plow pump parts.
  5. Power steering pump is OK. But sling shot pulley broke off.
    Hitting water pump & alternator.
    Duralast New / Water Pump CWP-715HD $150.00 this is garage price.
    and Gold-Duralast / Alternator Total:$200.00 this is garage price.
    Pulley $50.00 this is garage price.
    Towing $300.00
    Labor was $300.00
    Total is $1,000.00
    Truck is now at the Snowplow repair shop for leaking down problem.
    Was never fixed. With all new valves & seal on the ram.
    Meyer E - 60 which was new in 2000.
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2010
  6. micklock

micklock Senior Member

That happend to me on my old truck, a 1990 chevy. I heard there was a recall on the pully, it was only welded on one side. The new one was welded on both sides. It happed on a weekend snowmobile trip up north, had to stay up there four extra days waiting for the part.