1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Big problems in this NJ storm :/

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Ramairfreak98ss, Dec 23, 2009.

1. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

Well i wont even list all of them now... but heres a short rundown.

1. Boss 8'2" V XT wing bent, not bad but enough that its obvious, actually hit while backdragging i think
    2. SAME plow lost a frame pin on the right, cocked odd and then busted off the hydraulic piston bolt end on the frame where the cylinder lifts the plow mount... $215 for that part so far.

3. Salt Dogg sphe2000 spreader, 4 freking days old, first night my guy "lost" the spreader chute... or backed into a snow pile and bent the spreader shield, busted the motor cover, bent so its crooked.

4. Guys ran out of salt in parts of the night when none was available and we used up what we had here already.

That was most of the damage...

Lost one bigger account that was two separate locations. I didnt oversee the work on the one site often enough and it wasnt plowed great at all. Most snow never pushed near the curbs, some 6-8' away, whole sets of parking spots still covered a day later.

Ill go into more on that later, was our first loss of a commercial account due to our own non-performance, or incompetence :realmad:

Their other site was awesome.... i was there, which probably helped.

A company in a large mall parking lot plowed with their 16' pushboxes across a 4 lane side mall entry street RIGHT into the main entrance way of our location we service. Low and behold, my driver shows up with an F350 to a 75' wide mountain of snow at least as high as the truck and packed in hard. Nothing like an emergency loading of the tractor and trying to MOVE 100+ tons of snow before morning so cars can get through.

I have pictures, you'll love this one. I called the cops, they told my driver that its not against the lawn or that they cant arrest them... but it is illegal to plow and push your snow onto someone elses private property, especially right INTO someone elses driveway lol. I'll be sending them a separate emergency bill for the machine out there from 11pm-4am that night.

2. BlackIrish

BlackIrish Senior Member

Sounds like my first event this year.
    I'd love to see the pics.

3. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

post them pics. :) Did you collect on that one?

4. turb0diesel

turb0diesel Senior Member

soooo are you chargin your "guy"
    for the spreader chute??

i kno my boss would have taken that off my pay check..

5. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Definately wanna see these pics. Subscribed!
    :popcorn:

6. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

on the spreader issue . spend a hundred and put a wirless camera on the spreader. i have one on each spreader .

7. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Was looking at doing this... how badly does it get covered in crap though?

8. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

Camera lense will be covered after 5 mins. I think it has alot to do with how much vortex effect your truck creates, had one on a 550 grainbody that was useless, moved it to a 350pu and it was useful but not clear.

9. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

never a problem have one mount on a vbox and added one to my hydro under tailgate
    i have them angled slightly so i know how far away i am from objects
    also mount a light to help seeing backing up

10. s&mll

s&mll Senior Member
    from NJ

I bought one of those and returned it. So much static. Signal came in and out. It was horrible.

11. WGLand

WGLand Junior Member

Where are the pics?

12. Ramairfreak98ss

no im not, but im working something out with him since he talked to another storage facility that had a company flat out never show up and if we get those contracts im going to forget about it :rolleyes:

13. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

OK !!! You can have the contract now post the Pictures....

14. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

not allowed to its illegal

15. forestfireguy

Sounds like you learned some lessons.........the hard way!! Sorry to hear. How much salt do you keep on hand.

16. Ramairfreak98ss

not enough, 18 skids were scheduled for monday the 20th... thats been pushed back to this coming saturday, the 26th! Bulk we get from two suppliers, one in south jersey off 295 and another around trenton, nj. it sure is a major pita to not have your own pile though. We fill up about 5 tons worth in a dump trailer for the time being.

17. forestfireguy

You can't get a client to let you put a bin onsite at a larger site? Or in your yard?

18. Xtra

Xtra Member

We had our share of breakage too here in Ocean County.
    Driver's wing bent backwards (looked like a bad factory weld failure) on Blizzard 810 when it caught a belguim block, also noticed bent plow mount on frame.

Racket strapped the mount and cut off the hanging wing (9' plow was better than nothing) quick fix would work while staying in a retirement community for the whole storm.

Mailbox horizontal post went thru the plastic wheel well on back on F-350 dually.

Rubber edge on tractor's backblade caught a parked car.

(2+ ft of snow and over 80 hrs of combined service for the plow & tractor)

IMG00250.jpg