1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Big parking lots AND small driveways

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by theplowmeister, Oct 23, 2011.

1. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

1) Would someone please explain to me how and why (from a business point of view) someone wants to plow both BIG parking lots and small driveways ?

2) is the money that good in driveway plowing? to try to fit a plow and trucks that are 26 feet long (F250 extended cab long bed) into a driveway that is 35 feet long? Is that not like using the same mower to mow a football field and a 1/4 acre lot. using the same equipment in each case is that good efficient $$ business?

2. NickT

NickT Senior Member

subscribed

3. fulltiltwill

fulltiltwill Senior Member

From A business point of view

I agree that a big truck is not the most efficient to do a driveway. How ever when you can pick up a few extra drives near were you are plowing a big lot, it makes more sense to just get the job done with what you have. The extra 5min does not justify getting a more efficient rig like your wranglers.When I get to the point were I have enough driveways to do then I would look to add a driveway rig, but right now the 12 that I have don't justify the need or the expense.

4. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

How many did you lose to this guy?

5. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

:laughing:

6. snocrete

snocrete Banned

You gotta start somewhere, right..?.?...

that makes sense.

he hehe he

7. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Plowmeister you are not dumb. Why are you asking questions you already know the answers too?

Also, I dont ever have any problem plowing a driveway with my 4 door short bed truck. If you need some driving lessons and are ever in my neck of the woods, let me know. I'll show you how it's done.

8. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

I service both types of properties.
    From a business point of view: Send out the right equipment for the driveways, for me that's tractor and blowers. Now, big parking lots: a loader and wide pusher on the front.
    It's not one type of account or the other, service area is what matters.
    Not that we try to pull in a driveway with a wheel loader and 12' pusher, but in bigger storms I've been know to clear out a few on my way between bigger parking lots.
    On the other end, sometimes we use a tractor and blower to square up big parking lots even though they were purchased for driveways.

9. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Big lots you pick up and lose every year, with drives you can keep them as your backup money.

10. Landgreen

Landgreen Member

There is not many parking lots that can be plowed after 7am so might as well add drives to the route. We are usually done with our routes around 9:30. Thats 2.5 hours of extra plowing. Drives dont get plowed as often as our lots but $/hour is much higher especially with a tight route. payup

11. bristolturf

bristolturf Senior Member

i agree. It can be done with bigger trucks, but if you have smaller trucks or even a van or something sitting around thats what you use. Plus some customers want year round service, so why not give them the service. i agree dont go out and buy a dedicated driveway rig unless you have the accounts or are already set up for it (have a smaller kubota tractor sitting around, or a f150 or something that isnt going out.) Put another piece on the road and make a few dollars. Plus like others said, residentials can wait until later. We have 5 that are clear by 8 (which are actually country houses so we can use a full size truck at them) but the rest are all between 930 and 12pm. So I have a resi guy come in at 7 and hes got them clear by usually 10, and by then some of the other guys that started at 2 or so can get out and go home and i can keep him in for a few more hours just to do some minor sidewalk work or light cleanup.

12. DScapes

DScapes Member

I keep an IPAD in my truck for GPS, log hours and hold route info and whatnot... I timestamp each start/stop time for each property I service. I have a 2500HD, 7.5ft standard boss plow and can clear the average drive in my area in 4 minutes. (unless other shovel/salt/calc services are requested) average drive is 30-40ft long, 12ft wide.

4 mins per is fine by me for the 40 drives I do, also do 5 small commercial and sub for a buddy when he needs help.

If we got more snow in this area I would justify a driveway rig, but I think I would lean towards a Dakota over a Jeep, as I would use the Dakota to pull a residential mowing trailer the rest of the season.

Jeep would be fun, but that's an expensive rig to run for 3 months out of the year at least for me and my area

13. Chris112lee

Chris112lee Member

I do everything with my crew cab long bed. Though we do all residentials during the day when there are fewer cars in the driveways. This way our equipment runs for 14-18 hours every storm.

I think it's crazy that some of you will have your stuff done in under 10 hours.

14. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

Its Called Customer Service.....If i was the Customer and My contractor showed up in Hour 10....I would be looking for a New Contractor....:rolleyes:

15. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

If they pay your rate what do you care what they have to clear?

16. Kayem

Kayem Junior Member

Why say no to people who want to pay you? Money is money. Not to mention if you don't have a full route or it works into your schedule or service area, just starting out, etc, take what you can get as long as you're getting your rate.

17. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

How far do you drive between customers? my customers want to be plowed so they can get to work. If I only took customers that could wait to get plowed out Id have miles between them. Funny thing I dont get payed to drive between customers.

18. My bowtie

My bowtie Senior Member

In my area the drives are long ..Shortest i have is 175ft. Most are weekend or summer homes. The $/hr well worth the effort.

19. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Exactly

If you can't get out of your 35' driveway there's a good chance you won't be getting to work anyway. When I did houses I promised to have them done before 5pm, when most return home from work.

20. DaveCN5

DaveCN5 Senior Member

I don't think there is a right or wrong answer here. We are 95% commercial and the only residential we do is a condo complex with 34 drives in it. We make a killing on those units because we can get them done extremely quickly and they're less than a stones throw away from the next one.

If we can't get a high number of residentials close together, we won't touch them. That's why we're mostly commercial. We control 75% of all commercial lots in a heavily industrial area that is about 3 sq. miles. Density is key.

Some people might drive 15-20 minutes to hit 1 driveway, but we won't. We can be putting our equipment to better use.