1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Big Parking Lot

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Bossfan, Sep 18, 2003.

1. Bossfan

Bossfan Member
    from Kansas

I have a chance to bid on a parking lot that is about 30 acres large. :bluebounc This is a Benchmark furninture store. It IS HUGE!!! I am wondering how much and how you guys are deciding to charge for a per-push for 1-3" 3-6" and so on. Also, I need to figure about how long it takes one truck to plow one acre with few obstacles. We will probably secure another skidsteer (w/pusher) and operator for the truck bay areas. Just give me some suggestions. I want to do this effectivly. There are a few islands but nothing major. Salt would be dumped on site for fast loading times. (The owners already have storage bin containers for this purpose on site from previous years.) An employee used to do this property but they want to switch to a snow-removal professional. Give me some info and suggestions, based on your dealings in the past with lots this size. THANKS!!:waving:

2. Santo

Santo Banned

Time & material sounds like a great idea, think they would go for it?

3. DJs Lawncare

DJs Lawncare Member

I don't think that I can really help you, but I am looking to do the same thing on a smaller scale. 167,000 square feet with salting. Unfortunately I can't leave a salt drop on site. Good luck.

4. Bossfan

Bossfan Member
    from Kansas

Yes, Santo, they did want time and material. This could be a really big job but a definite business booster to be sure!!!payup payup payup payup JON

5. Santo

Santo Banned

Here in Philly (oceanport Del.) or Agway I get bulk for $33.00 @ ton picked up.Add 4-6 bucks a ton for delivery.There is a lot of info you can obtain for a reasonable price here, but me , I shoot for the stars ,this way if you get it ,no one gets hurt.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2003
  6. Santo

Santo Banned

From the looks of the equipment you have,looks to me your capable of a small airport.

7. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

A general guideline is a truck with 8' plow can clear around an acre per hour. I wouldn't use just a skid steer as the main loader for a 30 acre lot. You would need at least back hoes & preferably a larger one or 2 to deal with the massive weights of the piled snow. Truck plows can only go so far & may not be able to push to the ends of runs and push the resulting large windrows in a big lot like that?

8. Santo

Santo Banned

BRL an acre an hr. with how many '' down?

9. Bossfan

Bossfan Member
    from Kansas

Santo, LOL! :D Yeah, we probably could give and airport a run for it's money. BRL, Yes, I would get a front-end loader with a pusher out there. The runs are EXTREMELY long. We would have to divide it into sections for the trucks to handle. The dually F-550 can push a LOT of snow REAL Far. We haven't gotten alot of snow in KS the past few years. THis year is supposed to be a good one though... Starting in November. I AM READY TONIGHT!!!! LET IT SNOW NOW!!!payup I could easily use a loader with a 30' pusher and it would do a great job at this parking lot. There are a few areas that we will need a skidsteer in though. I will put a clause in the contract that states if we get over BLANK inches of snow, or based upon our discretion, we can bring heavier equipment in to move more snow. Jon:D

10. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

Bossfan,
    You posted you'd bring a skidder with pusher out there & didn't mention any other heavy metal, so you had me worried :eek:

Santo,
    Good point! I think that number is based on up to 3"-4"? I'll have to look up the articles to see what they said (and I believe some of the plow manuals also list that info). So if someone plans on waiting until there are 8" on the ground, they should alter that estimated production rate for their pricing.