1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Big Mean Blizzard plow truck!

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by IC-Smoke, Nov 11, 2011.

1. IC-Smoke

IC-Smoke Senior Member

The local Blizzard dealership usually puts this out along US127 during the snow months!

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Can't afford a plunger,buy a Blizzard plow instead!
  3. adksnowo

adksnowo Senior Member

Ice chaser? No spreader in the back. Where is the 4 c.y. Blizzard sander?
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  4. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

First curb that plow's a goner. Sorry, blizzard plows are well built, but that's waaaaaaay too much truck for that plow. :dizzy:
  5. IC-Smoke

IC-Smoke Senior Member

Its just for advertising, they dont use it to plow.
  6. ch973934

ch973934 Senior Member

That's pretty BA.. about somes it up...
  7. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Love it! Would be awesome in action!
  8. campkd6

campkd6 Senior Member

Sure looks good sitting there.
  9. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

I want one!
  10. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

down georgia you can buy those trucks surplus cheap!
  11. TatraFan

TatraFan Senior Member

It's only a Am General or Kaiser-Jeep M35A2 2.5ton 6x6 with a winch so it weights in minus the plow at 13,530 unloaded and 23,530 gross vehicle weight on the highway. It has 7.8L inline 6 Multi-fuel engine developing 126-140 hp depending on turbo and injection pumps. Some of the rebuilds use the LDS-465-A1 pumps on the LDT-465-1D or 1C engines. They are okay engines put not that powerful really.

Also the truck has no locking differentials usually ( a few of the Marine trucks had them in the rear axles) but the US models had as standard open differentials only. The Norwegian model of the truck had three air-lockers in the axles and I've talked to operators of the vehicle and they say it was rather impressive off-road.

It's a nice advertizing gimmick-- because it looks big and tough but compared to the vehicles of the Eastern Bloc or other Allies in NATO during the same period the US trucks lacked many important features: CTIS ,Driver Selectable Locking Differentials, and the capability to ford nearly 4ft of water without add on kits...

When I was kid always wanted a 2.5ton truck-- then I started to do research on them and I found out they were not as impressive as I thought they were. Then after graduate school I spent several years going around the world -- and that is when I was introduced to the Ural, Kraz , Kamaz , MAN , Unimogs and Tatra trucks-- All of them awesome off or on road.. Just as long as you don't want to do over 85kph ( 53mph roughly).
  12. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Wow. Lots of good info. So it looks a whole lot tougher than it is? In that case, I take back my earlier post, that 8611 is a perfect fit! :nod: Those weights you listed are just about in line with an F550 or topkick the 8611's are commonly fitted to. That truck with that plow, and my logos on the side would be a great parade truck! Thumbs Up
  13. TatraFan

TatraFan Senior Member

Well as an advertising gimmick it is impressive: the large size, the square lines, and generally bulky appearance all make it appear much more aggressive than it really is. You can get one for about $4,500 to $10,000.

The next step up would be the Am General or Kaiser-Jeep 5ton models: M54 series, M800 series, and the M900 series.
  14. mike6256

mike6256 Senior Member

We got one too.
    Not fast at all but geared for destruction....
  15. TatraFan

TatraFan Senior Member

It still needs lockers if you ask me. If you put three ARB Air Lockers in the truck I bet it would be much better off road. Also if you removed the NDT's and put on a nice set of 395/85 R20's the performance I bet would also improve in snow, mud and off road conditions.