1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Big help. I mean BIG

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Detroitdan, Jan 11, 2009.

1. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

Busted an angle cylinder on my first job this morning, nowhere to get one on Sunday morning at 4am. Asked one of my friends on the town highway department (jokingly) if he had a spare plowtruck I could borrow. He says, sure, take mine. While he's out in a town dumptruck his pickup just sits at the town shed, and it still has a plow even though he doesn't plow anything but his own driveway anymore. So I had the use of it for about 7 hours, saved my bacon bigtime!
    Fueled it up for him, but I need to do more than that. What do you think I should buy him or give him to show how much I appreciate it? Cash? Maybe a gift certificate someplace?

Couldn't figure out what the appropriate forum was for this. Hope this is close enough.

2. artic429

artic429 Senior Member

You are in a tough spot there. Better cater to his needs. A 30 pack and steak dinner or something..... Sounds like a good egg tho so you better keep him happy for "just in case" purposes...

3. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

Yeah find out where he likes to eat and get him a gift cert enough for 2 people. That should be nice. Thats a very nice thing of him to do.

4. dellwas

dellwas Senior Member

Know if he has any hobbies? If you do know what he does in spare time, maybe something to complement that....

5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

A dinner gift cert is good. Everyone likes to eat.

6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

If he's a really good friend fill the truck up and thank him. Just drop anything your doing if he needs help.

7. Rangerman

Rangerman Senior Member

Grandviews got it just remeber u owe him one. But the gift cert. isnt a bad idea.

8. jhook

jhook Senior Member

Ya, fill it up, thanks him much, maybe he needs an oil change too? Help him out next time.

9. ERCKWD

ERCKWD Member

This happened to one of the guys I worked for during the New Year's Eve storm, he filled up the truck, got him a case of his fav. beer and a gift cert. the guy and his wife to go to a nice restaurant, and a big thank you. He seemed to enjoy the payback quite a bit.

10. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

We've got a nice new steakhouse, it's actually between here and his house. I was thinking about doing a gift certificate, but I wasn't sure about his status, I know he got divorced so he might not have had someone to take out to dinner. But I just found out he has a new girlfriend, so I think a gift certificate will be good. $50 will feed two people there, plus the $70 I put in his tank, does that sound like enough?

11. paradise1229

paradise1229 Senior Member

Maybe this: Stakehouse Gift certificate, A full tank, (I'd fill both if he has 2) and a thankyou card stating : "I'f there's anything you need, please don't hesitate to call me. I greatly apprciate the help"

12. jhook

jhook Senior Member

Sounds reasonable to me. He will be happy and you should be happy. That is the making of a good deal. Everybody wins.

13. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

A big wet kiss ! ! !

14. Sno Biz

Sno Biz Member
    from Chicago

A Victoria Secret gift certificate for his girlfriend...this way every time he sees her in that new sexy lil underwear... He will think of you! ;)

15. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

Im thinking thats kind of weird.....lol

16. jomofo

jomofo Senior Member

I'd go for $75 - $100 on the gift cert. myself... By the time you get your steak, potatoes, spinach, some dessert and a few drinks X 2 = more than $50 most of the time... You don't want the dude reaching in his own pocket or keeping an eye on the tab the whole time you're thanking him. Just my opinion.

17. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I'd ask what he wants, just to make sure he doesn't want cash. If he says nothing the fuel is enough, then buy him the gift certificate.

18. Indy

Indy Senior Member

A simple thing that might go a long way is a simple cleaning of the truck inside and out......

Wipe down the glass, sweep the floor, blast the outside............if it's a work truck it may need it

that and the gas would be good OR offer to go to have a beer with him........he sound like he would enjoy the company (recent DV)

19. CGlisson

CGlisson Junior Member

This may help...

I recently was in the position of your friend. A buddy of mine blew his fuel pump on his plow truck and I helped him out. Not just once, but for a 2 day event. I plowed my customers first and then dropped off my truck for him.

He filled up my tank both times, washed down the salt off the truck, and gave me one of his snow blowers he was planning on selling.

Reality is, I would have been happy with the tank being filled, or less.

Whoever this guy is that lent you his truck already likes you and trusts you. Keep doing whatever you're doing, it seems to be working.

Those who show themselves friendly will have friends.

20. sven_502

sven_502 Senior Member
    from ontario

Id give the guy 100 bucks in gas cards probably you can never go wrong with that. Unless his truck is a diesel :)