1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Big guys and Jeeps ...

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by Saltydawg, Nov 17, 2008.

1. Saltydawg

Saltydawg Junior Member

Maybe a silly question but my experience with jeeps is limited to riding around in one when i was a teenager ... anyhow, I need to build a new plow vehicle for residential driveways and a Jeep seems to be good match. I'm worried about being able to fit in the thing without chewing a hole in my knee though.
    Am I too big at 6'4" tall and 260lbs to relatively comfortably drive a Jeep for plowing purposes? I'm not obese, I'm just not as lanky as I was 20 years ago :D

2. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

There a lot more civilised than they used to be. go sit in wonr you must have a dealer (new or used) near you. why fret over it go drive one

3. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

waaaay more comfortable these days! got cup holders too!

4. MikeRi24

MikeRi24 Senior Member

im between 6' 1" and 6' 2 (depending which convenience store I am leaving) and I find my TJ to be very comfortable. I went from a GMC Sierra to my Jeep, and it took some getting used to but I love it now and have PLENTY of room. I test drove a new JK and because of the way the center part of the dash was designed I found it to be very small. The JK is very deceiving, it looks a lot bigger, but honestly I think the inside is a lot smaller. The TJ seats are a lot more comfortable IMO too.

5. tuna

tuna Senior Member

I`m fat bahstid and my YJ is a bit tight for me but I still manage.

6. Embalmer

Embalmer Senior Member

eh im big too, but I ripped the center console (and backseat, carpet ect) out of my JK, and fit fine (even before the console went)lol

7. Saltydawg

Saltydawg Junior Member

Well I went looking around and tried some new ones and some old ones and then I went shopping on Ebay.

Now I gotta go pick this up in Jersey this weekend

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It has a Dana44 rear, Dana30 front, Dana 300, 999 auto, and 258 6banger. 4 inches of lift in the springs.

Now I gotta turn it into a snow pushing machine. Any input is welcome. I'm a mechanic of over 20 years but never did the jeep thing before so I'm still learning what the choice parts and setup are.

8. theplowmeister

from MA

You drove new ones and old ones and you got A CJ:eek::dizzy:

9. Saltydawg

Saltydawg Junior Member

Yea I tried them out and the new ones definitely ride better but there's an extra zero attached to their price tag :D.

I'm also one of them guys who likes to tinker with stuff and the CJ fits the bill. I have a soft spot for older vehicles hehe.

10. theplowmeister

from MA

Good Luck and have fun:jester:

11. '76cj5

'76cj5 Member

I got both and plow with a CJ5 a 7 would be heaven.
    It's easier to work on although at 5' 14" and 240 lbs. It' a little squeeze but once I'm in. I'm comfortable.

Hope you can weld or have a friend do it. A lot of stuff will be custom.

the '08 Wrangler is for DD and it's the RHOG. :)

12. tuna

tuna Senior Member

[QUOTE='76cj5;644585]I got both and plow with a CJ5 a 7 would be heaven.
    It's easier to work on although at 5' 14" and 240 lbs. It' a little squeeze but once I'm in. I'm comfortable.

Hope you can weld or have a friend do it. A lot of stuff will be custom.

the '08 Wrangler is for DD and it's the RHOG. :)[/QUOTE]
    Is not 5' 14" =6' 2":dizzy:

13. Bostonyj7

Bostonyj7 Senior Member

Holly crap Cheech, be nice. He would have realized it sometime..................next week.

C-

14. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

If you are 6'4 you will be better off moving the seat back. My buddy did this and now he has lots of room but no one can sit behind him.

15. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

Whats wrong with CJ's? IMO, think they look and ride alot tougher than todays grocery getters. But thats JMO. My wife drives a Liberty-I tried to convince not to buy it, but no avail, its a totally useless piece of shat. I'm 5'14", and cant ride confortably init for 3 minutes.

That CJ is sweet BTW.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2008
  16. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

Take a good hard look at the frame on that CJ. They are prone to rusting out near the spring hangars. Also the frames are rather thin and not fully boxed. It may be hard to find plow mounts for a vehicle so old. Congrats on the CJ7 BTW.

17. theplowmeister

from MA

You got the CJ, enjoy it, I wont rain on your party.