1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

"Big fat plug" making intermittent contact?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by maineiac, Jan 28, 2015.

1. maineiac

maineiac Junior Member
    from Maine

I have a 3 year old power V. Overall I'm extremely happy with it! Over my 35 years of residential plowing I've used Meyer, Fisher and now Boss. Lots of progress in technology over that time. Just cleaned up after our 25 inch snowfall.

My question revolves around the "big fat plug". Otherwise known as the 13 pin connector. Does anyone else have trouble insuring good electrical contact? I've cleaned the pins, cleaned the receiver and still have a devil of a time forcing the plow plug into the truck receiver. I know replacements are available with crimp-on connectors but just wondering if I'm missing some easy trick here.

Thanks for any ideas.

2. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

Keep it greased and clean. Check to see if the pins are starting to lay over or not pushed in all the way. If it is cold they plug in hard. Now I keep mine in a heated shop. I have one that is a 05 with the original plug still good. I have never replaced one on mine.

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Yes to that. Also I put just a little grease on the out side of the plug so it slides on a little easier.

4. maineiac

maineiac Junior Member
    from Maine

I assume you're both using the electrical contact grease (can't think of the correct name)? I'll give that a try.

Pins are still straight. That was my first thought too.

5. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I don't use the truck side plug holder.
    The plow shaking independently of the truck.
    Can shake them apart.
    I tuck in up behind the bumper.

Dielectric grease is a insulator , it's not conductive.
    I use . NO-OX-ID a elicterical lube that is conductive and inhibits rust.

6. the power and gound connectors I have replaced twice as they would get welded and ruined...so I spliced an older connector from boss and I am problem free....also used the electrical grease..

7. maineiac

maineiac Junior Member
    from Maine

Thanks for all the suggestions. Went to the dealer and he replaced the power cable. Felt is was the source of the intermittent problem. Still getting an intermittently dead plow. Dealer suggested unplugging both power and 13 pin and then reconnecting. So far that's worked every time. I'm guessing at a sticking solenoid of some type that won't release. If it ever stops snowing, I'll be back at dealer to see if they agree.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
  8. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

Cleaning is the key - as said above! I don't know what it is called, but it is electrical cleaner spray (just like brake cleaner only made for electrical)...spray the hell outa it, clean it up, it dries and then coat it like everyone said above with the dielectric grease. Also - I use the red lock clamp and take it off the Mount and tuck it in or zip tie it. It locks in place and holds tight.

9. scott3430

scott3430 PlowSite.com Addict

If your still running your original solenoid after 3 years of plowing, you should replace it. Mine lasted a little over 2 seasons, then started to stick.

There cheap.

10. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

I love my boss plow however their 13 pin connector sucks a$$ its a poor design period. Flame me if you all want but you'll never change my mind on the connector. I have mine zip tied and duct taped until I get the repair kit, even then I'm sure I'll run into problems with it. (connector) Sorry I was no help with the OP.

11. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

Not that I disagree as it never seems to fit flush, get that red lock you can put on there. You just have to remove it off the mount.

12. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

More details on this lock or a link?

13. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

14. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

Sorry. Can't find it on line but I went to two different dealers and they had them. You srcrew it into one end of plug and put two screws (very small) on other plug and it just clamps in tight and no way does it pop off.

15. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

And now on plane to Dallas so I can't take pic of mine in driveway. I'll call Boss later and ask! I searched for every damn name I could think of too! Went through this once before and our buddy, Buff, just threw up a pic - he finds anything online! I'll check it later

16. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

FOUND IT BEFORE TAKE OFF! Get one!!! Never will come loose again!
    http://www.bossplow.com/content/servicecenter/documents/msc16186.pdf

17. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

Thanks for the link!

18. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

Just have to take it off bumper braket and tuck it or zip tie it somewhere.

19. RSE

RSE Member

Whatever you do...DON'T force it. Those pins are weak and can bend over really easy. If you feel its not going on or just not on all the way, a little shop air and a good cleaning should identify problems. I found the actual cover on the plow side was touching the mounting bracket on the truck and giving me a "loose/false" connection.

20. maineiac

maineiac Junior Member
    from Maine

Went back to dealer today. They felt that 13 pin cable was going bad. Cut off about 18 inches and spliced on new cable end. Seemed to work fine. Got home after 30 mile drive and then noticed the black plastic shroud over the pump was missing as was the cotter pin for the up/down cylinder! Back to the dealer, install the missing parts, back home.

To find that the intermittent problem is still there! Called dealer and told him I would be back tomorrow morning and I wasn't especially happy. I continue to suspect a sticking solenoid of some type.