1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Big enough truck?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by yellowsnow, Aug 1, 2003.

1. yellowsnow

yellowsnow Junior Member
    from midwest

Found this ste from lawnsite. Quick question, I have the opportunity to buy a dodge dakota with plow, but its only a 6 cylinder. Has anyone had problems with this not being enough power. Its four wheel drive, seller said it worked just fine. Any thoughts or prior experiences would be appreciated. THX.
  2. wyldman

wyldman Member

It will work,it just won't be very good for big stuff.If it's a newer model with the magnum V6,they are a lot more powerful.The older 3.9L carburated V6 was gutless.

Remember,you can use 4WD low range,which will give you a lot more pushing power.

Any idea what kind of plow is on it ?
  3. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

Dakota Plow Truck

"Welcome to plowsite" yellowsnow.
    Over the years I have set up quite a few Dodge Dakota's as plow trucks.
    You would be surprized how well they push snow, providing the truck is a good runner.
    The only problem that I remember hearing of was of overheating the transmissons, so if you do get the truck have the trans serviced and check and see if an aux. transcooler was installed.
    If not you may want to add one.
    :rolleyes: John..............
  4. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

My buddy just sold his 1996 Dakota with the 3.9L it seemed like a very powerful truck for a V6 but he did have tranny problems and did replace the automatic transmission. Id say have the truck given a good once over by a mechanic and otherwise it should make a great plow truck.