1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

big engine problem, need help

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by elite1msmith, Jun 18, 2008.

1. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

big engine problem

2001 dodge ram 2500 4x4 5.9 gas with about 100 k on it

after the motor is run about 20 mins, it starts to stall and die at idle,...progressively getting worst , until the entire motor is bogged down and the Rpm will not go over 2000 under load...if you put it in neutral and can manage to get it over 3000, the problem instantly stops and the motor runs smooth

the only code that came up was for a bad CMP (cam sensor) or timing chain

I replaced the CMP , with no luck

if you let the motor cool off, then it starts up again no problem, at least for 10 more mins

thanks guys ,

2. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

does it seem like its running out of fuel? I had a problem like that once and if i put more fuel in the truck it would be fine again. turned out to be the adjustable depth fuel pump screws came loose and it would float on top of the fuel in the tank.. It was totally random when it happen and drove me nuts till i figured it out....had to drive around with a fuel pressure gauge duck taped to the window for a month. lol .

3. weeman97

weeman97 Senior Member

kind of sounds like when me cat. took a poop on me(wow sound re word that but o well)

4. elite1msmith

from chicago

its not fuel pressure i dont think because it runs fine for 20 mins, and even if it acts up and i put it in park/neutral , the rpm will rev up

I thought maybe the Cat, its getting that time, maybe it takes about 20 mins for the back pressure to build up, enough to start messen with the engine, Is there a check for this? or should i just disconnect the exhaust and take it for a drive?

5. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

are you stating the time as 20 minutes or do you mean to say that when the engine temp comes to operating temperature? Most emissions kick in when fully warmed up. Maybe a component there.

6. elite1msmith

from chicago

yes, i do mean while its cold, it seems ok, when it warms up is when it starts to bog out

yeah the o2 senors kick in when they hit 600 degrees as the book says, but iv never heard of an o2 sensor , going bad, and bogging out the engine......normally they just go bad, and the computer just goes back to defaul mode, and then gives you a check engine light

7. ServiceOnSite

ServiceOnSite Senior Member

try the coolant temp sensor. when its warm it could still be dumping fule like it does when its cold to warm up. i had a 1500 do this to me before. as soon as it warmed up it would barely run. just a shot the part is only like 10-20 bucks

8. elite1msmith

from chicago

ill have to check that one out, it might be the case....come to think of it, that would explain y if you get the rpm above 3000 it runs better, il give it a shot and let u know

9. AHammen

AHammen Member

Don't throw out the possibility of a bad O2 sensor. I had one go out on a Dodge truck before and it caused the truck to sputter and die, I had to put the truck in neutral and keep the rpm's up for it to stay running.

10. elite1msmith

from chicago

well heres what i have figured out to this point....the Cam shaft sensor has been replaced and im still getting the same code

i got the truck to "act up" and i cooled down the coilk, thinking it was over heating....still no good

drilled a small hole in the exhaust to check back pressure....the cat checks ok,...at least we think so

tommarow im gonna try the crank postion sensor, also I believe it happens when the PCM goes into closed loop mode after the engine is at operating temps.....at that point the PCM starts reading some of the senors ...like the O2,

Also we measured the "slope or back lash" between the crank shaft and distributor rotor......it was estimated to be about 10 degrees and the book, said if thats the case, then remove timing chain cover and do closer inspection of the chain....stretched out?

we did this test 4 times, coming up with 10 degrees each time

This would cause the Cam Senor to be behind, and cause the injectors to fire late...something to think about

11. 2003ctd

2003ctd Senior Member

Sounds like your timing is off, a plugged up cat wouldn't cause it to die, you just would not have any power.. You would have noticed a cat getting worse and worse, it would not have just started acting up... Your distributor may be bad, or the timing chain may be stretched... Those 5.9's run for ever have never heard of one throwing a chain at 100k but anything is possible!

12. elite1msmith

from chicago

ignition timing is controlled by the crankshaft senor......while the distributor does dirrect the spark....the coil only fires when the PCM tells it to...based on the crankshaft sensor

the CAM senor (located in the distributer) does the timing for the fuel injection.......

it is critical that the CAM pulse, be prior to the Crank pulse ..or else the whole PCM will not function correctly

f the distributor is off,....the Cam Pulse will be behind ...and may not be apperaing prior to the crank pulse...but i would need a scope to look into if thats the case

but backlash/ or slop in the chain would cause the distributor to be behind....

13. elite1msmith

from chicago

well i pulled the cover....

1/2 inch of play side to side ??

14. elite1msmith

from chicago

i ordered the chain? i dunno

15. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Sounds like a stuck EGR valve.

16. elite1msmith

from chicago

i will put the egr on the next list of things to check...that could be, the exhaust on this truck for some reaseon looks very rusty

17. elite1msmith

from chicago

welll its not the chain, I dont think its the coolant sensor, as i tried playing with it....

18. krazeehorse

krazeehorse Member

You ever put a set of plug wires on it?

19. elite1msmith

from chicago

yes like 3 times...new cap , wires..i thought that too, but this is def. a computer/sensor problem.....

the problem is figuring out which sensor, or if its the computer

20. elite1msmith

from chicago

well i thought id bump my own post still have the problem, havent looked at the truck in a month

what i beleive is happening , is when the computer kicks into closed loop mode it starts backfireing , and will barly do 20 mph... sounds like the timing is way off, not even close

i have changed the CAM sensor, and the timing chain, - tips i got from other ppl

im still kinda looking for help, currently the throttle is sticking, not due to the cable, maybe the sensor , from siting still all summer