1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Big electrical problem

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by B&E snowplowing, Feb 4, 2009.

1. B&E snowplowing

B&E snowplowing Senior Member

I have a 95 GMG 2500 My problem is that I have no running lights, no taillights and no dash lights until I press the brake pedal, and it dosen't matter wheather I have the headlight light switch on or off.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Brian

2. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

First thing I would do is check for proper ground by running a cable from the negative side of the battery right to the ground wire on the lights. Check for proper ground to your firewall.

3. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

I would bet broken ground somewhere.

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Do you have a trailer plug/harness? I just fixed a suburban that the running lights would not shut off. She backed into a snowbank and two tabs were pushed together. I would disconnect the entire rear lighting harness under the tailgate to start, and your electric brake controller.

5. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

Thats a blown fuse. Not a major electriacl problem

6. damian

damian Senior Member

check for a rear tail lamp bulb filament bridged to the brake lamp filament,this would make the park lamps/dash lamps come on with the brake lamps,then replace the park lamp fuse,let me know how you did,good luck.

7. damian

damian Senior Member

also forgot to mention,the tail lamp units on your truck have been troublesome,the have plug in boards that have had corrosion-short-open problems if you find those to be the problem,aftermarket replacements are cheep,just replace both tail lamp units.good luck.

8. ogdenflooring

ogdenflooring Member

VERY FIRST thing to check LOL

9. B&E snowplowing

B&E snowplowing Senior Member

Thanks for all the help...Once I removed the trailer lights wiring harnes everything started to work fine again. The wiring harness look ok, but I decided to remove it, because the fuses were good and the grounds and bulbs all seemed ok. Once again thanks a bunch
    Brian