1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Big Dodge recall in works.

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Tarkus, Dec 10, 2004.

1. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

It seems Dodge is having premature ball joint failure in the Durango and Dakota trucks from 2000 to 2003 model years (they did in some fullsized 4x4's too until they upgrade the front axle in 03 but they never had a officail recall on it) Anyone that has or is planning to have a plow on these effected models take notice.

http://money.cnn.com/2004/12/10/pf/autos/dodge/index.htm?cnn=yes

2. bolensdriver

bolensdriver Senior Member

Horrible. Imagine someone's wheels coming off in the middle of traffic.

3. Stark_Enterprises

Stark_Enterprises Senior Member

I dont Know But I'm Happy I Got my ball joints changed on my o2 ram even though the Heavy trucks aren't effected. Mine Started To Squeak Really bad about 40k so i had um done.

4. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

hello and welcome to last YEAR, the word spread to all the dakota/durango bbs's last september when the word got out about the ball joint issue and as a matter of fact there was a post on here about it. I myself am happy that I have 106k on factory balljoints with 2 years of plowing and they have no play in them at all

5. Tarkus

Was it a diesel? The had problems with them up to 02.

6. Tarkus

Well is has reached recall status and the are always exceptions but they would not recall them if it was not a serious problem because recalls can be expensive and not good for bottom line when they are sizable.

7. Stark_Enterprises

Stark_Enterprises Senior Member

Yea it was a Diesel. Tarkus

8. Tarkus

Glad you were lucky. I do not make this stuff up. Detroit is really sneaky about the way they fix some problems because recalls or open admissions can hurt profits and sales too. Dodge would not have gone thru the trouble and expense of having AAM design a new front axle from scratch for their trucks if it was not a serious problem. THe only AAM part in the axle than it not new is the ring and pinion as it is used in a GM 9.25 IFS too. Same company make the well known GM 10.5 14 bolt rear axle too and the new 11.5 used in new HD pickups.

9. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

most of you dont have dakotas, but for the ones who do, or even have em for their daily drivers, I know is there is a big wheel bearing recall in 2000+ dakotas

10. rats5656

rats5656 Junior Member

please help 2001 diesel dodge balljoints

i have 2001 2500 diesel dodge ram quad cab with 8ft bed with an easy dump insert i have had some front ball joint work done... are you saying that dodge truck .and that dodge might be able to help pay the cost from the repair from local exxon dealer please help me my email rats5656@aol.com

THANKS!!!!

Dave :angry: