1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

BIG diesels

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by staley52, Oct 13, 2003.

1. staley52

staley52 Member
    from Iowa

what do you think the best big diesel engine is I have been around 3208 cats dt466IH 8.2 detroits cummins big cams and an IH V8 of unknown model and have my favorites but first what do you all think

2. Team_Yamaha

Team_Yamaha Senior Member

Cats are very good motors, I have the 3116-275hp in my current dump, and have put quite a few miles on trucks with 3126 and 3406's in them. The 3208 was kind of a throw away motor, once it was done just dump it and throw in new one, not realy worth rebuilding. I had the DT466-210hp in my last dump (91 International 4700). I have heard from a buddy, who's family owns a trucking company, that Detroit's are known to leak quite a bit of oil. Once in a while (5-6 weekends a year) I end up hauling hay from South Dakota back here to Wisconsin for my buddy. They run 5 Pete's with 3406'sand 350-425 hp, and also have 3 Pete's with Cummins Big Cam III's I think that all of them are 375 hp. Personally I prefer the Cats, just seem to have a little bit better throttle response and pull more out of the hole, but the Cummins are good motors.

3. gslam88

gslam88 Senior Member

Staley,

As team said the 3208 is throw away. The worst thing that you can do is under power a dump truck.

I have a 466DT in my International now, good motor... at times underpowered... but still a good motor.... It comes in a couple different hp ratings... 190 to 230 I believe...

The Detroit's are and oily motor usually, and also can be a dry sleeve...but they are not the only motor that is a dry sleeve

There are usually 2 types of sleeved motors... dry and wet... when it comes to rebuilding them typically .... the wet sleeve is cheaper and easier to redo... replace sleeve and you off and running....

One of the best motors in my opinion is the Cat 3406.

Also most of the big diesels are not V-8's.. they are in-line 6.

Usually when I have questions like this.. not only do I go here.. but I also just do a search on google on what I am looking for and look thru the results....

This is just my .02.

Pete

4. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I've always been a big fan of Cummins engines, nearly every truck I drove was powered by Cummins, most in the 300 to 350 hp range. These were the older NTC engines, some Big Cam versions too.

I've driven 6V/53, 6/71, 8V/71, and 6V92 versions of Detroit, but not the Series 60.

I've also run older Macks, the 237, 300 and V-8 models, Macks were always VERY reliable.

Except for the 6V/53, these are what I consider BIG diesels, the IH 466 and Cat 3208 are intermediate diesels, not meant for Class 9 trucks. I've driven these too, the Cat was gutless smoky junk in my opinion.

I still like the Cummins overall though. Lots of torque and the best engine as far as Jacobs Brake response goes.

5. wyldman

wyldman Member

Cummins diesels rule.The bigger Cats are OK,but you need way tomany special tools to work on them.

6. staley52

staley52 Member
    from Iowa

wow and I thought that the 3208 was one of the better in the fleet two of them are pretty tired but the third is pretty good but they have been the most reliable but my personal choice for medium duty power is the 8.2 detroit(as long as the head gskts hold) once I l;earned how it likes to run idle or full go it is the best power and responce
    I like the tandems with dt466s better than the tandem with the big cam that is in my bosses fleet due to the big cam is a early fly by wire and responce is &^&*&* terrible and will shut down for no reason

7. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I know what you mean Staley. The electronic accelerators have a lag time between when you feed input and the engine responds. The first day I drove one I looked like a rookie all over again, grinding gears on every shift. By the end of the day I had gotten used to it, that became my assigned truck.

My truck also had auto shut-down. It was a device that would shut down the engine if oil pressure dropped, water temp went up, or coolant levels dropped. There was an override button that allowed you to get the truck off the road if the system activated.

They also had an idle shut down feature, after so many minutes of idling the engine automatically shut down. This was to save fuel and reduce emissions.

8. gslam88

gslam88 Senior Member

Pelican,

May I ask what a class 9 truck is? I own a Class 8 truck that comes in at 34,000 GVW. Light in the Class 8 group, however Class 8 goes from 33,001 to 80,000 GVW IS class 9 above that?

Also you say that the DT466 is a intermediate diesels and not meant for the bigger trucks. There is nothing better in my opinion in a 6 wheeler than say the International truck with the DT466. The body is not much longer than a F450/F550, but able to carry itself much better than the others. I will agree that that is not a motor for an over the road or long haul truck, but International has a great little niche market for that... look at all the town, city, state, etc truck.. and most ( or at least around here) are Internationals.

The 3208 is a smaller sized motor compared to the 3406 or the Series 60 Detroit or others...

Also the 8.2L Detroit is significantly smaller than the series 60 which is a 12.7Litter

Is the fleet of trucks that your running 6 and 10 wheelers??

Wyldman do you work on the larger diesels?

Pete

9. wyldman

wyldman Member

I used to do a lot of heavy diesel work when I had my previous shop.It was much larger,and I had tons of outdoor space to park them.I mostly do the smaller stuff now.I still have my heavy truck license.We still do the odd one here and there,mostly small dumps and construction equipment.

10. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Pete, Class 9 trucks are over the road long hauls. Examples would be the IH Eagle, Ford LTL9000, KW900, etc.

I still say the 466 is an intermediate diesel, it's a farm tractor engine that's been adapted to truck use. One of IH's tractor models was the 1466, I think it was drawn from there. Ford had a similar engine they used in the L8000. I never said it was a bad engine, just not what I'd consider a BIG diesel.

I'm not sure what Cummins calls their BIG engines now, they used to be the NTC series, the Cat 3406 and 3408, and the Series 60 Detroits, those are BIG diesels.

I drove trucks for others for twenty years, either tri-axle dumps or hauling freight in 18 wheelers. I own an old White 6 wheel dump with a 190 Cummins in it.

11. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

My personal preference and I have little experience, driving only a 3406 I think it was an 1150? Cummins, I liked the Cat a little better. Yes, you do have to shift as fast as you can blink, but I think they are very reliable, and solid engines, with a good amount of torque. They are capable of some crazy power output as well, I've seen one that was souped up courtesy of Mighican Cat running about 3000hp and 12,000 ft.lbs of torque. It was in no way, shape or form a street legal truck.

Rode in a 998 Mack once, that sucker was pretty slick, They sound great too!

12. gslam88

gslam88 Senior Member

Pelican,

Hate to break it to you but those long haul trucks are a Class 8 truck also... like I said it goes by weight and anything above a 33,001 GVW is a class 8. Tandems, Over the road, even single axles are still in there... it just depends on the weight

here is the breakdown

Class 1 trucks GVW ratings of 6,000 pounds or less

Class 2 trucks GVW ratings of 6,001 to 10,000 pounds

Class 3 trucks GVW ratings of 10,001 to 14,000 pounds

Class 4 trucks GVW ratings of 14,001 to 16,000 pounds

Class 5 trucks GVW ratings of 16,001 to 19,500 pounds

Class 6 trucks GVW ratings of 19,501 to 26,000 pounds)

Class 7 trucks GVW ratings of 26,001 to 33,000 pounds)

Class 8 trucks GVW ratings above 33,000 pounds

just so you know

As far as the Cummins motors they are now N14, M11, L10 are the older motors... now with the emmisions we have the ISX, ISM, ISL, ISC, ISB
    Pete

Last edited: Oct 15, 2003
  13. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I subscribe to Overdrive and Owner/Operator mags, they refer to Class 9 trucks in those mags as what I described.