1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Big condo complex

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by vis, Oct 12, 2008.

1. vis

vis Senior Member
    from 4

Hey guys,

I have the opportunity to bid a large condo with approx 110 units. Each place has their own driveway, with islands inbetween.

The driveways are mostly 2 car wide and 1 car long... My question is which would be more effective: an 8' Push/pull box on a skidsteer, or a 8' snow plow on a skidsteer? I am leaning towards the box, but I have never done this type of complex. I am figuring that I can just pull out all of the drives into the roads and push it to the ends using my trucks and v-blades..

Any comments/ideas are appreciated...

Thanks.

2. BlackIrish

BlackIrish Senior Member

IMO a SS with a protec pusher/pull back would outperform the blade, easier to back drag the garage doors. pumpkin:

3. vis

vis Senior Member
    from 4

Also, the machine I will be using will be a 2007 Mustang 2054 (49 hp, 6000 lb machine)

4. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

In the past we have just used large 5-6 foot buckets and they work well with a good operator. With the pull plow, is it possible to stack still? Or you just switch over? I just like being able to have the plow truck plow the road and not have to come back after the bobcat pulls the driveways out.

5. vis

vis Senior Member
    from 4

yeah you can still stack as you would with a regular pusher, the thing is most of the snow needs to go to the ends of the roads, which is why the truck is necessary.

6. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

We do a condo place that the driveways on the upper half are about the same size but only 18 of them. The nice thing I guess is they are all right across from each other. We used a skid steer with a big snow bucket one time and man did that beat the ol' back dragging. IMO a box blade would be the ticket, you'll be amazed at how much snow you will get from the driveways let alone 110 of them. :eek: P.S. hope you plan on camping out there all night!

7. vis

vis Senior Member
    from 4

yeah, I think that is what I am going to use, the pull/push protech seems to be the best. I also have a 7' snow bucket to move snow if needed, or scrape ice.

My plan would be for the skidsteer to start as soon as 2'' builds up and just keep going untill everything is done and over with. I would say about 8-10 hours from start to finish. The truck will be going in and out through out the storm helping to push the snow and drop salt as needed. The complex has allowed a 5 hour window when all snow stops for use to finish cleaning up, unless of course we are into a big storm.

I also have 5 shovelers lined up to head straigt to the the site and stay there untill everything is complete.

99% sure I got this contract, It should work out nicely.

8. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Sounds like a nice account....5 SHOVELERS!!!! must be nice, I'm paying a rediculous amount this year and got maybe 4 "iffy" guys. BTW Im paying 30 bucks and hour!

9. vis

vis Senior Member
    from 4

30 bucks an hour? holy hell....

My shovelers get usually between 15-20/hour. I have found alot of good guys for shoveling by getting to know others in similar landscape trades such as greenhouse workers or masons. These guys are looking for work in the winter, and they like to get a few of their friends together and go to work. I guess I'm lucky...

this one acc will have 5 dedicated shovelers, and I also run two 4 man shovel crews that service all of my other places. My minimum pay for shoveling is 15/hour, and if the guy is capable of commuinicating with me on the radio, and/or driving a truck, they get paid accordingly. The disposable guys get 15/hr, and if they keep coming back every storm they get more.

10. TreffertLawnWrx

TreffertLawnWrx Senior Member

I wouldnt bother wasting your money on a push pull unit unless you bought a 10' box and could really utilize the push part. I do mainly townhome developments (500+ units in all) and the best thing to use in a snow bucket. Pull up to the garage and backdrag into the street, doing HOA's you will most likely need to stack later in the season. You will notice that you would have to turn around in the middle of every drive to push because the pull height is lower. A 96" bucket will run you about a grand. you can find used ones on craigslist often.

11. sherwin

sherwin Member

We switched to Boss trip edge plows with wings 2 years ago and they can handle more snow than a bucket. you get down pressure so backdragging works great, the trip edge instead of moldboard trip allow for pushing the snow up and over where a bucket goes up and dumps. the plow will not trip over. The plow blade can also be angled for backdragging different pitched drives with curves and such, and allows for plowing the drives if a truck should go down. Buckets just can't carry a lot of snow without crumbling and multiple passes and a plow will allow for windrowing and pushing. With the maneuverability of a SS the plow becomes very versatile for moving and placing snow. We have a route that used to be 12-14hrs. that got cut to 7-8 with the plow due to the extra speed and a cleaner job the first time through.

12. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

that is one of the reasons i have always been a big fisher fan is the trip edge.
    for some reason when talking to people that use a full trip they dont follow me on why i like it.
    also keeps pushing even when it trips and doesnt ride up on the snow.