1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Big change to F-650

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by MisterG, Feb 11, 2014.

1. MisterG

MisterG Junior Member

I stumbled upon a development mule that Ford has running around for cold weather testing. It was obviously experimental as it had what appeared to be 1/3 a fiberglass doghouse with a super duty grill riveted on. I was able to sweet talk some information out of the driver. Apparently Ford will be dropping the Cummins engine and putting their own diesel from the Superduty line into it. The doghouse was in place to make room for the radiator / intercooler assembly, which was jammed well to the front of the temporary snout, so obviously a nose job will be in order as well as the mechanical changes. I lament the loss of the Cummins as that is my favorite diesel, but I suppose the change was inevitable. I took photos with my phone of the temporary snout. If I can figure out how to post them off my phone, I will.
  2. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

More brilliance from Ford.

Great idea, replace the one and only true medium duty diesel they offer. With what comes down to an untested design of their own, since in reality, the 6.7 has not been out long enough to have really been proven.
  3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014

ABDIRT Junior Member

Yes they do

Ford currently uses the cummins diesel in there F650 series medium duty trucks and have been for years. To really throw you off the automatic version has the Alison trans in it.
  5. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

The Alison trans has a fallowing, I will not deny that but it to fails.
    The new trans from dodge no longer uses bands.

I just hate seeing a cummins being shamed into powering a furd...;)
    It's good to see they are going to their own power-plant.
    Sales could fall as some buy it because it had a cummins.

I think the 6.7(cummins) (7years)has been around long enough to be proven as many are well over the 300-500k mark in the stock configuration.
  6. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Totally different tranny in the MD vs light duty trucks. Both are Allisons but one is much different than the other.

Greg, Cummins have been powering Fords for a long, long, long time. My '93 L8000 has a Cummins.
  7. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Its going on 4 years since its been out, any longer it will be outdated.

I'm sure it has more to do with tighter emissions.
  8. OldSchoolPSD

OldSchoolPSD Senior Member

Cummins is underpowered in a 650 anyways. Even though it's a sleeveless POS throw away motor, the cat is much more pleasant to drive in those trucks.
  9. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

All CAT is famous for is making 90day throw-a-ways..
    Haven't seen anything new on the road with a cat,

I know mark, they are even a power plant for different makes of heavy equipment...
    I still don't like them in a furd....:waving:
  10. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

I thought Cat was to stop on road diesel engines and only do off road stuff?
  11. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Just hook your phone to your CPU, then when you upload, look through the DCIM or Camera folder on your phone and upload it.

12. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

after driving a few 6.7 powered trucks, i think the 6.7 ford engine powered F-650 will run circles around those cummins turd underpowered trucks.
  13. gallihersnow

gallihersnow Senior Member

I'm pretty sure they stopped building on-road engines in 2010.