1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

big block power steering reservoir

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by hilon19, Aug 16, 2003.

1. hilon19

hilon19 Junior Member

Doea anyone have an idea on what to do about a power steering remote reservoir for a 402 big block motor. The current one has a lid that is loose so it leaks, sloshes around. I cannot find anything to replace it. Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help.

Ron

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

Can you not just replace the lid ? The lid had the seal to keep it from leaking.You should be able to get one at your local parts store,or a GM dealer

3. hilon19

hilon19 Junior Member

I tried, but it did not fit.

4. hilon19

hilon19 Junior Member

There is a power steering pump with reservoir together as one available for my big block, but would I have to get new or different brackets to hold it?

WOuld itbe a simple swap?

Thanks

5. wyldman

wyldman Member

You could use an integral reservoir.Better off to try a junkyard for a complete pump and bracket assy.

You could also use just about anything to replace your leaking remote reservoir.You could make one out of an old can,use any standard small hydraulic reservoir,or retrofit one from another vehicle.A lot of the newer GM full size vans,and the Astro\Safari vans use a small remote reservoir mounted on the fire wall.I'm sure you could make one work.

6. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

there are 2 styles(of the old school BBC's anyway) a remote and a built into the pump wich is the latter style. Doing the swap is very easy if you have all the right parts. The pump and brakets/pullies and such are the same for a chevelle as they are for a PU. Gota love the general :cool:

You have a 402 or is it a 396? I though 67 was the last year for the remote resivor. Or is your motor rebuilt? What is it in? Just curious....

7. hilon19

hilon19 Junior Member

It is a 1972 402 factory big block. It was rebuilt, but I don't think that was changed though.

Thanks for your help

Ron