1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Big block ports

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by BigBlock454, Apr 27, 2002.

1. BigBlock454

BigBlock454 Junior Member
    from Jersey

I just recently got my hands on a 454 truck motor that has the peanut ports. I have a edelbrock performer RPM manifold that is for oval ports. My question is the ports on the manifold obviously are bigger than the ports on the heads. Will there be a problem with this even though they are both oval..

2. Power mad

Power mad Member
    from Oregon

It sounds like the engine is basicly stock.
    the intake will work but the RPM intake is better suited for an engine that has a better cam and heads.
    The engine will prolly run better if you leave it as is untill you can get a set of better heads. The Peanut port heads are not a high flowing head, and putting the RPM on it will be a high flowing intake on a low flowing head.
    The regular Performer would be a better choice for that application.
    Port matching the head and intake will help out a little, just don't go crazy with the die grinder.

3. BigBlock454

BigBlock454 Junior Member
    from Jersey

I agree with you on that. I will port match the heads to the intake just enough. New heads will be the next thing down the road. I am using competition cam with a .510/.510 lift and 270 Adv. duration in it. Should be alright for now..Thanks for the reply..