1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

big block dump truck gas guzzler

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PTTP08, Mar 6, 2013.

1. PTTP08

PTTP08 Senior Member
    from mn

I am in the market for a chev or a ford dump truck 1 ton. I would probly get a 2wheel drive rig. It would be mainly for a spreader set up. But my question is this.... Is the mileage that bad? I cant get a diesal as they are double the price. Is a 2wd gasser ok to run? It wouldnt plow much just touch ups while salting the lots.

2. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

What year range truck are you looking at?

Are we talking a 2005 Chevy 3500 with the 8.1 or a 1980 F350 with a 460?

Neither will be good but for limited use a better option then the diesel.

3. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

How much gas Do you actually think you'll use spreading sand? Or is this going to be your d.d . Yes a 2we big block will work just fine.

4. PTTP08

PTTP08 Senior Member
    from mn

Well I have a budget of 6k so the newest truck I can get with the lowest miles. And no it will not be a daily driver. I seen a 2000 454 low miles clean truck for 6500.

5. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

I learned how to plow and drive a manual simultaneously, my first year plowing. The truck was a 1974 2wd, 1 ton w/ a 12' dump body. It was almost comical for anyone watching me stalling it out and making it do jumping jacks. By mid season, my route time was better than the other drivers w/ full sized pickup's w/ similar experience.

Good rear tires & plenty of weight in the back make a world of difference. Not that great in loading docks, but still do'able. No issues at all as a salt truck.

6. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

You're going to get around 8ish MPG with 454 1 ton dump. If it's just salting the gas won't hurt you too bad. Figure some gas $$$ in the pricing.

7. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Why does it have to be a big block? I have a 2000 GMC 4X4 with a 350 in it. I have towed 14,000 pounds on a trailer behind it before, I regulary haul torn off roofs in it all summer long weighing in across the scales at the landfill heavy at 15 to 16 thousand pounds. Plus in the winter I have an 8'6 western plow with wings, and a 4 yard spreader in the back with about 3 tons of salt in it, and the 350 handles things fine. I get around 10 mpg loaded in the winter time, and 12 or so in the summer with a mix of loaded and empty miles.

8. PTTP08

PTTP08 Senior Member
    from mn

That answers my question anbout a small block. I seen one of these with a plow low miles and it was a 99 for cbeap abain clean truck. I didnt think the 350 had the power
    To run a dump.

9. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

Plenty of power. You're talking about a work truck not a race car. You don't have to get there fast, you just have to get there. A 5.7L Chevy engine will do the job just fine.

10. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Mid to late 90's Chevy dumps with the 350 were a little underpowered in my opinion but you can wake them up pretty cheap. A set of headers and a decent exhaust does wonders for those engines.

11. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

The 350 is fine. Cheap to rebuild too.

12. OC&D

OC&D PlowSite Veteran
    from Earth

Just to be clear, you'd only have about a 5 MPG difference at most between a gas and a diesel on average (given the fuel prices for each we currently have around here). Factoring in the difference in cost between gas and diesel fuel, that amounts to about about 10 cents more per mile to drive the gasser. I think this is fairly negligible given the additional acquisition costs of a diesel and more expensive maintenance, and even if those were equal, we're talking about 10 cents per mile, heck, gas prices fluctuate more than that over the winter, so you're business model should easily be able to absorb small fluctuations in cost like that.

13. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

big block or small block will not make a big difference in fuel mileage. my f350 with 351 gets about 11mpg, while a similarily equippped truck with a 460 will get 9 mpg or so. only difference is the big block does the same work with less effort.

if you have a 6k to spend you can find a nice OBS (pre '98) f350 dump with the bullet proof 7.3 powerstroke. for 6k you can find one with 4wd and already equipped with a plow. thats what i'd be looking for if i were you.

14. PTTP08

PTTP08 Senior Member
    from mn

Thats what I really want is a 7.3 but every one I find is rotted out bad. Rockers and doors are gone. I looked at one and I was doing the flinstone thing the floor pans are rusted out. But I dont think I would mind a big block either. It would be nice to have some extra ponies under the hood.

15. lawnboy2121

lawnboy2121 Senior Member

Don't have to plug a gasser in in the cold

16. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

My 97 F-350 4X4 SRW, 5spd stick, 460 gets 11.5-12mpg empty if I keep my foot out of it.
    Loaded up for plowing I'm getting 8-9mpg depending on moisture content and amount.
    I'm a strong believe in going big, the motor doesn't get worked near as much which equals longer life. Also I live at close to 6000ft and a SB really works hard. I have a Blazer with a SB in it and it needs more get up and go.

17. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

Look for a used brickmen truck...
    A lot of truck for the money..

18. PTTP08

PTTP08 Senior Member
    from mn

brinkman trucks

how would I get a brinkman truck??? Do they have an auction of some sort??

19. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

I'd go to their web page and email them.

20. BigLou80

BigLou80 Senior Member

Any engine will be fine for what you want to do. There is no need for a sloppy big block when a 5.7 or an even better 6.0 will do the trick. There are a lot of 6.0 powered GM's on the market in your price range. If your willing to travel I bet you can pick up a 2wd from a non rust state.

I have had my 6 liter powered 2500HD for 10 years now, towing hauling plowing ETC. It has done everything I have asked it to do, and it's less then once a year I wish it was a diesel or a 8.1 from a power perspective. The diesels are nice, but if you don't need the power why put up with the extra cost's of 12 quart oil changes and triple cost repairs. The only engine work I have done to my 6.0 in 230K miles are oil changes, spark plugs, wires and 2 water pumps.

From a payload capacity you are going to run out of available carrying tonnage long before you run out of engine power. the big blocks and diesels really shine through when towing 10-16K lbs trailers.