1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

big amperage draw

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by monson770, Oct 28, 2015.

1. monson770

monson770 Senior Member

2002 gmc sierra 2500hd, has two batteries, high output alternator. I have a western 8' pro plow unimount.

it seems to keep happening intermittently every year for a couple years now.. when I raise the plow but also if I'm turning the plow, it will draw a lot of power, and can sometimes cut out my radio. it doesn't happen all the time. I have tried cleaning connections and even replacing the connectors on the wires that connect to the pump. and that seems to help somewhat..
    my question is;
    is it possible that it is a pump/motor issue? like, the pump is wearing out and at times will draw lots of power..
    -or -
    does it sound more like I need to maybe replace the wiring harness, truck side, to make sure all of my wires/connections are clean and solid? or even just go through everything and clean/replace as needed?

I bought this truck with the plow on it, and didn't have any issues until the last couple years..
  2. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

3. Dieselplow82

Dieselplow82 Member

Same exact problem on my 05 f250..even swapped batteries and alternators...and still have the problem
  4. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

When it first happened to me, I took it to the Ford dealer thinking it was truck related. They put in a new alternator, which had no effect. My battery at the time was only a few years old. As I mention above, my problem ended up being the Western cables, which had deteriorated over time. Plow and truck ran perfect last winter once the Western cables were replaced.
  5. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

did you go with a heavier gauge cable?
  6. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

Not sure; the Western dealer did the work. In that thread that I provided the link for, I listed the Western part numbers that were on my invoice for the new parts that were put in
  7. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Keep in mind that dirty, corroded or too small gauge wires are a resistance. Resistance reduces current flow it doesn't increase it..... In an electric over hydraulic system the amount of current drawn from the battery is directly related to the amount of resistance to fluid flow in the hydraulics. For example, when you lift the plow current will spike for a moment to overcome static mechanical resistance then, one the blade begins moving, the current will drop until the ram reaches the end of travel at which time the fluid pressure is force to go over pressure relief at which time the current will go to max.
    Another thing that will increase current draw is a sudden reduction in electrical resistance like a short in your motor windings. I would pull the motor and check armature bushings too. The armature could be dragging on the field coil pole shoes (metal core). This causes physical drag and can also cause a short if the armature wears through the insulation on the field coil windings.