1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

'Big 3' upgrades

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by bdryer, Nov 7, 2011.

1. bdryer

bdryer Senior Member

I have seen in many of these threads, guys discussing doing the 'big 3' upgrades. Not sure what they are talking about. A little help?:dizzy: Thanks!

2. djlunchbox

djlunchbox Member

The big 3 upgrade consists of replacing your positive wire from the alternator to the battery, ground from battery to engine block, and ground from engine block to frame, using a larger wire. I used 4 guage wire from tractor supply co. It's sold as welding cable. It helps with current flow and lights dimming when using high amperage accessories. EDIT: some people will install a high amperage maxi fuse on the positive wire. I never have, but it is a good idea. ( I pull too much amperage and can't afford a circuit breaker yet). If one of those wires comes loose, you will have a nice DC welder flopping around under the hood.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  3. JCByrd24

JCByrd24 Senior Member
    from Maine

A 100A fuse that looks like this:

[​IMG]

is under $10 at auto parts stores. I bolted it right onto the alternator stud and bolted by upgraded cable terminal to the other side. I should probably unbolt it and check that it's still good!

4. djlunchbox

djlunchbox Member

oh excellent!, that's good to know. I've never seen those before, and the dorks that man the parts stores here are clueless. maybe the napa guys will have them in stock.

5. bdryer

bdryer Senior Member

Great information guys, thank you! I do experience the dimming of the lights, SO... I guess I have another weekend project now! Thumbs Up

6. JCByrd24

JCByrd24 Senior Member
    from Maine

Check that, mine is 175A...it's also still good.