1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

bids not coming back

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by forest32buck, Oct 10, 2013.

1. forest32buck

forest32buck Junior Member
    from ohio

I've put out over 30 bids in the last month, and have still not heard back from a single one. When do most customers get back to you? We have been plowing as subcontractors for 5 years now and are trying to branch out on our own, but am getting concerned that i haven't heard back.

I usually do a call back approx 1-2 weeks after dropping off the bid, but mostly end up leaving messages. I delivered almost all the bids by hand to the managers. They are in a professional format, I believe our pricing is competetive, but I am at a loss for the lack of return.

Any ideas or suggestions?

2. abbe

abbe Senior Member
    from RI

We are still waiting on tons also.

3. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

I'm still waiting on a few, some people wait till the snow is in sight before they get their crap together, even though they got the numbers in front of them.

4. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

It's a game my friend. Many take bids just to see where their current guy is at, even though they have no intentions on switching providers. Of course they wont tell you that or you'd never waste your time doing it. You have to talk to them and find out if they're happy with their current provider, and bid the ones that aren't happy, those are the ones you stand a chance at getting if you're competitively priced.

Oh, and most of my commercial's are signed already, but there's always a few that kick things around until the day before it snows. Frustrating for sure...

5. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Welcome to the world of bidding snow.... when they hear snow you'll get the call

6. DaveCN5

DaveCN5 Senior Member

We get bids back from early September to late November. We started putting a clause in our bids saying that if they return the bids back signed by October 15th, we will give them a small discount for our services. Seems to be working out well so far, but there will always be stragglers.

7. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

My renewals are mostly in but bids on new work is trickling in, some are still shopping. I got a call yesterday looking for references, I had submitted the bid serveral weeks (or more) ago.

8. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Listen to the Wizard, he's right on about this.

9. forest32buck

forest32buck Junior Member
    from ohio

thanks guys, I may have to consider trying the discount for early sign on's. We will see how it goes

10. Chineau

Chineau Senior Member

Forest how long till you expect snow? Hold off on any discount when people get a low price from you they expect it for ever. Seniors, veterans ya others pay the majority of folks who sign with me know I will show, some other not so much. The reason I ask about snow wait a bit try phoning on grey rain/snow days they want to talk then. Good luck.

11. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

I never get nervous until about mid November. Alot of guys on here seem to get all their work signed up in September or even earlier, and at first that got me scared. But, as time has gone on I've learned the longer they wait, the less time they have to go through the bidding process...securing my job. If they're shopping, I'm gonna know, because I'm confident they will try to get my price down before signing someone else. As far as new clients...I hate the "bid and wait" process. So much so that I've secured good winter work and only take on new clients that are ready to sign without hearing a price.