1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Biding Snow Removal

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by GBD, Sep 12, 2010.

1. GBD

GBD Junior Member
    from Ohio

I have a few questions about how to bid new contracts. I have plowed snow for several years sub contracting for other companies. This is my first year in business for myself. I have a landscaping business and have gotten several commercial contracts. They have asked me to give them a bid for snow removal. They are all small lots, banks and an Advance auto store. I need to give them prices for both pushing snow and salting.

So here is my big question. How exactly do you guys go about giving a price? Do you calculate how many hours its going to take you and then have a set hourly rate? Or is there a set standard for lot sizes? Also for salting, do you figure how many bags it takes and then charge so much per bag?

Any help would be awesome, thanks!

2. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

Hope that helps

3. snocrete

snocrete Banned

There are alot of threads on this.....use the "search" feature, inform yourself on methods/systems of the biz, and narrow down how you want to bid your jobs - example: per push, per inch, seasonal, hourly, etc. Then come back with questions if you still have em.

P.S. Get your post count up to 10, so that you can receive PM's(private messages). This is how some of your good info may come to you......I will suggest posting pics of your equipment/operation to boost your count. Everyone likes pics.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2010
  4. GBD

GBD Junior Member
    from Ohio

Alright, thanks I'll try some more searching. I did find some threads on this subject, but didn't really find one that answers my exact questions. I'll look some more

5. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

I ballpark an acre an hour. Could be more or less depending on shape of and obstructions in the lot. $100 per hour. $100 an acre to salt (bulk salt). That's ballpark in Western Michigan anyway....... As far as spreading bagged salt.... you're not going to make much money doing it unless you charge 3 times the price of the bag. And thats going to be getting expensive for the customer so you could easily get outbid. The back of the bag will tell you how many square feet it can cover, and will vary depending on if you are using rock salt, ice melt, etc.