1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

bidding ???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by johnsonnsonscj, Sep 23, 2004.

1. johnsonnsonscj

johnsonnsonscj Junior Member

im new to the business, and i was just wondering, how do i go about putting in a bid on a job? Thanx
  2. snoluvr

snoluvr Senior Member
    from RI

You first need to find the accounts you think would be profitable, and worth your time. I usually stop in or phone them asking if they will put the plowing out for bid for the season. That usually sparks some of them into thinking about it.Next make sure to survey the property..make sure you know how long it COULD take you..Factor in sanding, and any other services and submit the bid.I always follow up with some phone calls after submitting it and wait to hear..i always include my insurance binder with any bids.
  3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I reviewed your posts and it appears you are just starting to plow, maybe for the first time this winter?

I would suggest you not try for any commercial accounts until you've got some experience. Stick with driveways; particularly family, neighbors and/or friends. Don't take on too much; maybe ten or less. Concentrate on plowing techniques this year, next year you can expand. Commercial accounts have pretty high expectations, generally, and come with high level of risk for slip and fall injuries and subsequent lawsuits. Driveways are easier to set a price, too and are just easier all around for plowing, deciding where to stack, are more forgiving if you can't get to them right away, for damage etc.
  4. johnsonnsonscj

johnsonnsonscj Junior Member

ive been plowing for a few years, and ive been in the business for quite a while, but ive never owned my own bus. so ive never had to do any of the billing or bidding or any of that kind of thing. thanx for ur responses
  5. c_maint

c_maint Member

The other thing to keep into consideration is what do you do if you major storms? You have to ship the snow out! You have to make more room. You can't just keep piling it up.
    Good luck