1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bidding walk trough

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by njsnowremoval, Feb 12, 2012.

1. njsnowremoval

njsnowremoval Senior Member

I have been wondering/ reading about bidding. I was hopeing someone can walk trough the average BID. FRom how you get the lead to submitting the bid for approval?
    Thanks in advance:salute:ussmileyflag
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Can be anywhere from a drive-by look to a prebid conference.How big a place is it?
  3. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

It's not something that "just" be posted on plowsite, as the process is very long, (unless it's just residential). The best tip I can give you, is attend Build a bid By SIMA, they will be able to walk you through everything, and if you have any questions, they're a few people there that can help, like Rich Arrlington!
  4. njsnowremoval

njsnowremoval Senior Member

I was thinking ahead, and in general. Thanks for the tip about sima ill look into that.
  5. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

The best tip I can give you is DON'T listen to Arlington unless your happy with making $35 per hour. His wife owns AGMG so they look for contractors like you that (don't take this personally) don't have a clue....

IMO the hardest part on bidding commercial lots is finding the decision maker. Sometimes management has multiple levels you need to go through to find him/her. Once you find that person it becomes quit easy...ask for a bid spec sheet on how they want their plowing done. If they don't have one, bid if a few ways ie seasonal, per inch, hourly. Get your selling hat on once you get in front of him/her again and pitch your strengths. Especially if your not the lowest bidder.payup

Good luck
  6. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing Senior Member

This is great advice.

Sometimes it seems near impossible to get to the decision maker. Often times it seems the first person you talk to has no idea how they even got to worrk in the first place none the less who you should talk to. Allot of times around here they have had the same company for so long they don't even re bid the contract unless you give them a number.