1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bidding townhomes..

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by Avery Landscape, Oct 18, 2006.

1. Avery Landscape

Avery Landscape Junior Member
    from 5

So I posted a thread like this a while back but didn't really get any of the answers I was looking for.. so neways.. here's what I have..

There's a townhome division which a realty business owns.. i've done lots of work for the owners of the realty business so they offered me and me only the maintenance work for this division..

There's about 45 driveways that I will need to maintain during the winter months as well as all the sidewalks in the neighborhood.. my question is quite simple.. how much do I discount for something like this..

My normal prices for residential driveways are as follows...

$25 .5" - 3"
    $30 3" - 6"
    $35 6" - 9"
    $40 9" - 12"
    $50 12" +

now say we get a 3" snowfall.. that equals $1,125 going off my normal rate.. seems quite high in my opinion...

so I'm trying to find a discount which i should offer considering that this is a commercial area, and that I'm going to have 45 drives lined up with one another...

I was thinking something like a 25% discount from my normal prices??

Let me here your opinions

Thanks, Aaron

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

None. Unless you get them all as a package with one contact. Even then, I might not discount any. Reason - if you get them as a package, that means you got them through the association which makes this a commercial account. With that comes increased risk, which justifies a higher price.

But the bottom line is - do what you want to do. And your question is really not so simple - since, like everything else - "it depends".

Last edited: Oct 18, 2006
  3. Avery Landscape

Avery Landscape Junior Member
    from 5

this is all one contract under the homeowners association... but each home is only paying in $50 per month for maintenance fees.. I don't think that they should be paying more than what the residents are paying??

so you're saying that I should bid this just like 45 seperate driveways as if they were regular residential customers??

4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

That's where I'd start, yes. What they're paying in Association fees in of no relavance to you and strictly thier concern. But, like I said, if you get them all as a package and feel that you want to offer a discount as an inducement and it's worth it being closely spaced, then go for it. But what they worked out as maintenance fees should not to be a determination of what you charge. What if they only paid $5 a month?

5. Mad Mulcher

Mad Mulcher Member

If you have experience plowing these size driveways, you should be able to estimate the ammount of time it will take per driveway. Multiply that times 45 times the average number of plowable events in your area. That will give you the # of hours you expect to be plowing there this winter. Do the same calculations for the sidewalks. Throw in a few extra hours for misc. cleanup. Multiply the total expected hours by your separate hourly rate for plowing and sidewalks and abracadabra alakazam, there is your seasonal price!