1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bidding Townhome HOA Driveways, walks, and private roads

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by Dlandscaping, Aug 24, 2016.

1. Dlandscaping

Dlandscaping Junior Member

I have been in the snowplowing business for a number of years now, handled some big lots. I got a call on a HOA Town home looking for a bid. I've done condo HOA but never done a Town Home association. Do you guys generally take the number of drives x a number then add in public walks, and private roads? For example if a HOA has 45 drives, 35 x $40.00= 1800.00 then add in the time for .5 mile of private roads, and 1 mile of public sidewalks? I am thinking of using a Skid with a pusher and couple now blowers, or a number of snow blowers and my trucks. Just trying to see what others do.

2. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

Whats the difference between the Condo and the townhouse parking area. You meaning separate drives instead of one big lot? The amount of drives would be helpful. 35 drives and 200 drives would require different equipment. The public road I would use a truck. Have you done a mile of walk with walk behind blowers before on one site and comfortable with the outcome?

3. JMHConstruction

JMHConstruction PlowSite.com Addict

What is your average snow and how many large snows do you get a year? Like Fred said, depending on the size and the different equipment you'll use can change the price per drive. A mile isn't bad for walks. We average about 40-50 minutes with a few inches per mile per man (down and back to clear a 3' walk). I don't think a skid with a pusher is the best option, but that's just me.

4. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

Let's see an aerial shot of the property in question. Without seeing it, we might as well throw darts blindfolded.

5. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

We don't have any 3' walk here, 4' and 5'. I don't use walk behind blowers, 40-50 min. sounds like a pretty good performance in a mile of walk. Got to be making a little coin. I would not use a skid either. Thumbs Up

6. JMHConstruction

Maybe because not too many walk around here and the idiots on bikes use the middle of the road:realmad:, but the only place we see 4-5' walks are commercial.

7. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

With the info given I see a couple choices, Pickup with a V up front and back blade or a Skid with a Kage or SnowWolf Quadroplow for the driveways and road. The sidewalks a Snowrator or compact tractor with cab/blower for the walks. Have two guys dealing with walks going from the driveway to the homes.

8. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

Sorta depends on what he owns, The skid would work but I don't like getting stuffed in it and possible viability issues. I would be much more comfortable in a truck with V and a pull behind.

9. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

I agree..... That's why they're called options....
    Since I don't have a skid the P/U front/back plow would be my choice and since I have a ATV with a plow I'd used that and a blower when needed.

10. Dlandscaping

A condo association is set up more like an apartment building, multiple units in one or a couple buildings and one or a couple open parking lots. A town home association is each house has their own driveway. So for a town home association it would be like having 40 residential driveways all right next to each other.

This bid is for 40 driveways and 3 private roads, and public walks ways. The driveways are not huge, which is nice, maybe 2 cars deep and 2 wide on average, some longer drives and some shorter drives.

I am in the Chicago land area, so snowfall? some years like two years ago we got pounded, From January to March I was out plowing every weekend and once or twice during the week. This past winter I think I plowed 5 times from November to March. So it really varies but I plan on 12 to 15 plowable snows.

I have a v-plow, straight blades, and a number of snow blowers. So with the equipment and man power I have, I could throw a number of guys out there to clear the drives and just use the trucks to clear the private roads. However I am debating of buying a skid steer for summer and winter use.

11. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

I would invest in a back blade for the V blade truck, You should be able to handle it all with that besides the sidewalk. Man hours add up quickly. You say plan on 12 to 15 events. I would want 25 events if bidding seasonal. 2 to 3 man crew should be all you need. Honestly I see it as a 2 man job.

12. John_DeereGreen

Cheapest option is adding a back blade to a truck. Personally, I would go against the grain and say to run a straight blade with wings and back blade truck there. You'll find pretty quickly with back blades that you don't use the front blade nearly as much.

Personal opinion here, but I don't see a skid saving much time (no more than 10%) here compared to a back blade. If you want to save time on drives you need a tractor and inverted blower.

Just my opinion, your mileage may vary.

FredG likes this.
  13. JMHConstruction

14. JMHConstruction

See above, then just use the v to scoop the snow into a pile.

15. John_DeereGreen

There is only one back blade made worth owning. Call Ebling and Son, and ask for Wade.

16. Dlandscaping

I have never looked into a back blade. I will look into that as an option as well! Not too many contractors around here have those, but I think the idea makes a lot of sense. I would want 25 as well but generally we only get on average 10-15 plowable snows a year and get close to 20-25 salts in a season.

17. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

The inverted mentioned above will be your best option. It will out perform the truck. If I was into drives this would be my choice. I would probably want at least 200 drives to make the investment. The pull behind will work tho.

Dlandscaping likes this.
  18. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Oh, I don't know........that SnoKontrol says it will triple my production in 1/3 of the time.

Wouldn't that be like a 600% increase in productivity?

I wonder if this is verifiable. I need to look into one of these.

Weird thing is, it looks exactly like the SwingWing\B&B back blade.

19. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

The SnoKontrol does have a one-up on the Ebling. Their cylinders are located on the inside (truck side) of the plow. They are more protected. Ebling cylinders are on the outside of the plow. They can get damaged if you try to get cute tucking a pile of crusty snow, or when one backs into something.

20. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Good to see you were able to wade through the Russian mail order bride and grow light ads. Thumbs Up:laugh::rolleyes:

The only cylinders we've broken are from ripping the clevis apart or something of the like. Never broke one backing into a pile or more solid object. Popped a line or two, but not a cylinder.

What do I really know though, I'm a childish buffoon. :terribletowel::terribletowel::terribletowel:

It does sound like experience talking however. Maybe someone was distracted by the mail order bride or smoke...........:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

BUFF and SnoFarmer like this.