1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bidding this late in the year

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by Brant'sLawnCare, Feb 16, 2009.

1. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

I just put in a bid at a local restraunt/strip mall. They had a sign saying they were now accepting snow plow bids. I left one with the waitress. I bid it high because I don't really care if I get it or not. Does this kind of stuff usually send up a red flag to you guys? Having bidding done during the middle of the winter? I think either somebody hasn't gotten paid, or somebody hasn't lived up to their expectations. Their lot had been plowed the other day, so I'm not really sure what is up. I guess I will call the manager today and see if I can find out why. :confused:

2. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

I was asked for one last week but it will be for next winter. I was also asked if I would be interested in a bunch of residentials. I believe someone in the area is getting out/retiring in the area.

It wouldn't hurt for you to find out though.

3. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

it could be a bunch of reasons....either a problem with the contractor or the business....i would ask around and try to see what went wrong....how big of a place is it?

4. pohouse

pohouse Senior Member

Like you said, either the customer isn't happy or the contractor. It's possible they haven't signed a contract and are calling someone each time, resulting in poor service because they are always the last on the route. I would have done as you have. Repost if possible, when you find out why they are requesting mid season bid.

5. Lencodude

Lencodude Senior Member

Maybe they are just fishing around to see if their plow guy is overprice or undercharging them. They want to find someone for a better price for next year.

6. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

Very true statement:salute:

7. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

The contractor could have failed- truck broken down and can't afford to repair/replace it, bankruptcy, the guy's staff could have been deported (real possibility in my area)......We always assume it's a poor service or contract failure but it could be lots of things, especially in this economy.

8. Brant'sLawnCare

Well I talked to the manager today. I had left my bid on a business card with one of the waitresses, and of course she lost it. So, now I'm going to send them another in an envelope. The manager didn't know a whole lot about it, but he said to call back on Thursday because he will talk to the owner of the building.

The lot is not too big, probably take an hour to plow, and 30 min to do the sidewalks during a 6" snow fall. I bid it at $200/push and $50/sidewalks. Not sure on the trigger yet, but I would assume it will be 1". I could lower my price a little, but I figure what the heck.... Oh and for salt I told them $15/bag for a 60# bag. I may be a little high for plowing, but I plan on doing a good job. That's going to be my selling point. Another thing I could do is tell them $150/push for under 4" and $200 for over 4". What do you all think?

9. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

If you are happy with your bid, then okay. But I probably would have waited until I knew why they were asking before giving a price. I would try and find out who the other contractor is. Maybe give them a call and ask what their side is. Maybe the place isn't paying or want too much.

10. Brant'sLawnCare

Well I was happy with my bid. I bid a 1.5hr job at $250 each time, plus salt. But I agree. I am calling the guy back tomorrow to see if I can find out some more info. I did think of calling the contractor, but if it's just a guy plowing for beer money or something, well I don't think I need to say anymore...