1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bidding Sidewalks

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ford4x4guy74, Aug 20, 2010.

1. ford4x4guy74

ford4x4guy74 Junior Member

What is the best way to bid sidewalks? I am working on a bid for a hospital in Northwest Ohio. In the past they have taken care of walks themselves. This season they want the walks cleared and salted. I'm thinking at least two hours of work for all the walks, maybe a little more.

2. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

Well if you think 2 hours, I would start by taking your labor rate x 2, then adding the cost of ice melter.....just a thought.

3. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

Whenever possible we like to go hourly on sidewalks, this way there's no guessing wrong and losing on the walks, so many different possibilities with accumulation type can make it longer and harder to get walks done. Those who insist on a fixed price, we always estimate in our favor.

4. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

what I kind of didnt think of when I read this the first time is, are you sure you're ready for a hospital if you don't know how to bid a sidewalk?

5. ford4x4guy74

ford4x4guy74 Junior Member

I've been plowing for 8 years and this is first time I've ever had to include sidewalks for a bid. The factories, churches, and school I do handle the walks themselves. Just trying to get an idea for the labor rate. I'm not sure I want get involved with doing the sidewalks. It's really nice to just pull in with truck or bobcat and just push.

6. bhmjwp

bhmjwp Senior Member
    from kcmo

You are in a different part of the country than I-so can vary greatly. I price our commerical walks at our standard snow plow rate, snow melt at $25 a bag including labor. I can't remember ever having lost a bid-no competition. If you really don't want to do the walks, price enough to encourage them to keep in house. Remember, they can't get employee's in during a storm, can't get them out during a storm and are likely paying overtime or double time.

All the same problems I have with sidewalk crews!

7. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Sidewalks suck! Turns snow removal work from :cool: to :cry:

8. leon

leon Senior Member

side walks etc.

If you bought the a smaller or even larger diesel BCS 2 wheel tractor, snow blower and sweeper attachments it would give you speed and flexibility.

Are the sidewalks ADA compliant and much wider than a 5 foot sidewalk.

You would have a 7 month snow season (conservatively speaking) from November 1 to April 1 versus the 10 month snow season fiscal calender from September 1 to May 1.

210 days at 2 hours per day is 420 hours of labor plus additional work
    and depending on the size BCS you could buy you may be able to pay for it the first season.

The sweeper would be able to clean to the sidewalk surface and the attachments can be installed quickly with the quick attach system or wrenches which take llonger.

They have a BCS seat trailer combo from earth tools that could carry a load of bags and an ATV spreader on the rear with a battery or clip a leasd to the battery and power it that way.

Depending on how willing they are to listen you could spread a salt sand mix away from the entrances and use sand for grit and traction near the entrances at your discreation and further away from the entrances- but having the sweeper will eliminate any sand come spring time anyway and quickly remove small accumulations of snow with the least time.

If you have side walks that access the parking lots the BCS and the attachments will help keep the curb cuts clean to bare ground with the sweeper and using sand for the curb cuts even with the traction buttons cast in the curb cuts the sweeper will keep them clean with no issues anyway.

My thoughts anyway.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2010