1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bidding Retail Sites

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by Stowe, Sep 2, 2010.

1. Stowe

Stowe Member

At the SIMA build a bid seminar they taught us to use production rates for bidding. It seems to me most retail sites would require equipment and labor staffed at the site fulltime during a storm. Therfore production rates don't matter it's really the duration of the storm that matters + production rates after the snow has stopped. I'm afraid if I bid like this I will never get a job. However it seems that's what my cost would be based on. Does this make sense.

2. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

To compete reasonably you have to bid production, you may be able to get an hourly for "daytime services" meaning a truck to keep things open/safe until you can push off the whole lot. And you may not get that in, we have it in some contracts not others. Really what it comes down to is managing your staff well, and not calling them in too soon, and definitely not letting them do it their way if you know one thats more efficient.

3. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

welcome to the complications of plowing commercially. there are so many variables and you can over price yourself very fast.

and you're right, sites do expect you to be there through a major storm. our big lot, there have been several times in the past two years where my machines have ran for 18+ hours straight without shutting off, that's part of the gig. bid a comfortable production rate and then aim to beat that production rate every morning and if you can beat it 6, 7 times out of 10, then those 3 times you don't (aka your big storms), those costs will be covered. that's worked for me just fine and every year I make money.

4. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Stowe,
    Sounds like your pretty new to the commercial world... don't get discouraged.. you will be better off for the first few years doing smaller commercial jobs (something you can do with trucks) or subbing for a large company to find out how things really go (time wise). Once you have that experience then you can go after the larger commercial sites.

5. Stowe

Stowe Member

Redman,

How bis is the biglot you mentioned.