1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bidding Residential Accounts

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by CountryChevy15, Jul 6, 2009.

1. CountryChevy15

CountryChevy15 Junior Member

Im new to plowing but got everything i need to stick to the residential driveways that i want to do. I have a contract made up that looks professional but gets the point across and doesnt drag it out over 10 pages. My question is what do you recommend sending out to get customers to sign with you for the season? I was thinking about a flyer but that doesnt seem too professional. So send out a contract with price on it and see if it comes back signed or what?
    Thanks

2. bigmudder77

bigmudder77 Senior Member
    from wooster

put an add in the paper, make signs to put in your lawn (at least before the snow starts flying), flyers in the paper box, or go door to door and hand out your biz cards

3. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

All of the above work, check local retuarants & churches as well for cork boards. Residential you just need to get your name out there & at least here be very competive (with price).

4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Put an ad in the paper. Just say full time snowplowing available ,licensed and insured ,free estimates and the phone will ring.

5. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

When you say "licensed", do you mean driver's license or is there a specific one you need to have to operate a plow truck legally in NY?

6. grandview

Who cares people like to hear the word "licensed" :D

7. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

LOL - I figured it was something along those lines.

8. CountryChevy15

What kind of info would you put on a flyer that your going to hand out. I just dont want to sound like 13 year old kid trying to mow yards when i send them out.

9. grandview

Here is one I used in my younger days.

snowplowing flyer (Medium) (Medium).jpg

10. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

Back when you were part time?

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

No Rich- back when ink was first mass produced. :D

Do you have signs for your truck? If so get them on there NOW. You'll be surprise at the interest they'll draw since they're a point of pitch approach anywhere the truck is seen. Residents are not thinking of snow this time of year..that is unless they walk by a truck at the local supermarket that has snowplowing signs on it.

Cards on bulletin boards around town are great and cheap also. Think anywhere that they host bingo. ;)

12. grandview

I was never part time.

BB, you know about stuff other then truck repairs?:rolleyes:

13. Quality SR

Back when you used feathers to write?!?
    Signs on the truck is good ill have mine on soon.

Everyone always starts off part time.

14. grandview

Define part time.

I started with a company and we plowed full time. Then when I went on my own I was able to jump right in and have a full route signed up before the first snowflake fell. If anything I cut back a little ,but still have a full route and making money too.

15. Kevin Kendrick

Kevin Kendrick Senior Member

You must not be licensed? LOL

16. grandview

I have a driver license.Just no plow permit .

17. Kevin Kendrick

Kevin Kendrick Senior Member

You'll need one to plow in East Aurora I guess!! :confused::confused:

18. Quality SR

Just playing with you GV.

Everyone starts out by mowing lawns after school, weekends etc. Same with shoveling, when school was canceled you go out shoveling, etc. I plowed with a friend in school also, his dad owned businesses and we plowed with his dads truck. That's how i got into it. Then as i got older i did it on the side working as a sub and doing my own jobs when i was available. Now i am partners with a buddy of mine ( lawns and snow), even when i am at work making money i am making money with him. So I guess now i am full time. payup LOL.

To get back on topic. I always had trouble with getting jobs. I worked with a sub to learn, and slowly picked up my own. I find it easy to get residential around here. Basically i just drive down the street and people flag me down. I have hung fliers in stores and put ads in local papers. It works great this way. My phone hasn't stopped ringing since March ( for lawns) and we have been real busy. We have even had calls for the plowing in the winter.

As for the commercial, i think this is the hardest one. First of all if you do there lawn maintenance in the summer, chances are your doing the plowing too. So it is harder for a residential Lawn guy to get in to the commercial end, at least i think so. For the last 2 weeks i have been handing out fliers and b. cards at businesses, ad in paper, and talking with people that work in/or own the businesses. The one that is working out so far is face to face contact with someone ( I know someone did mention this) It does work. And sometime you find out more then what you were asking for, i.e like other locations. It is a little discouraging at times, but it does work. Make sure you know what your talking about and make sure you don't over charge or UNDER charge ( $15 for a 7/11 :dizzy:). Start off small, give quality work. Your name will be passed around, and you will grow. Another thing is having your name and number on your truck. This REALLY helps. We will actually have 8-10 people in an 8 hours day see our trucks while working. They stop for an estimate or they take your number. I get calls too from just driving down the road. You will get alot of calls i'd say more then 50% that you wont get, but atleast it is some action, LOL. Unless if you step in sh!t, it takes time. Good luck.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2009
  19. CountryChevy15

i need to get some lettering on the truck HOWEVER...i dont want it on the side because its a daily driver and i just wont like it. So i was thinking on the tailgate. Does anyone make like a tailgate magnet?

20. grandview

Go with vinyl graphics ,get a full tailgate wrap for it. A buddy had this done and it looks good he has nothing on the sides either.