1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bidding per push on new lots

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by Puddlejumper, Jan 29, 2009.

1. Puddlejumper

Puddlejumper Member

We have pretty much bid everything up to this point hourly. We are bidding on a new set of apartments for next year and they have asked us to submit the bid per push for the plowing. What is anyone doing in this situation? I have looked at all eight sites and can make a pretty good SWAG about how long each would take to plow. Do I use this as an estimate then?

:gunsfiring:Seems to me they have it figured out that it saves them money to do it this way.
  2. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

It does and it saves you a huge headache.

I do all my accounts on a per push. Its always the same price no matter what. However. We have a set price for follow-ups. So if you clear the lot and you have to go back through you get paid for it.

I usually go into a lot, figure how long its going to take me to clear a 3 to 4 inch snow with one plow truck. I then sctratch my head,and over think it. then settle down and get it on paper.

So if its a 2 hour push takes 2 times your hourly rate. Salting is the same as you are doing it now.

I find that when you are doin it by the push you tend to push faster. Faster you push the more you make.

3. jjmcnace

jjmcnace Member
    from Iowa

+1 what Peterbilt said
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
  4. lawnproslawncar

lawnproslawncar Senior Member

I agree with them guys. However, I'll give you another side. I've had condo's that say "we feel were being taken on the price, so we want hourly only" Do they end up paying the same? Yes. But its their choice, if your stuck on hourly then maybe you can try to sell them on the fact that they will only be paying for the amount of service they are getting and nothing more being pocketed? If they are sold on per push, you won't have much of a choice. I would suggest per inch as an option for thought.
  5. DODGEing

DODGEing Member

If you do it by the inch who and where are they going to measure? the weather man ? the customer?you on the lot? you can try 1 to 2.9 inches 3 to 5.9 6 to 8.9 so on or however you would like 2 to 3.9 inches 4 to 5.9 inches. How many times does the weather man say we got 2.7 inches he generaly says 3 which takes you to the 3 to 5.9 price or he says 4 and your per inch is 2 to 3.9 how ever. Just A little more food for thought
  6. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

What he said
    Plus, people really like a hard price. how much is it going to be? It's always the same. Hourly can lead to abuses. What if one time it takes 1.5 hours and the next time it takes 2.5 hours (different person, different truck, bad coffee, who knows), then that leads to questions.
    Plus, as you learn the property, you get faster which makes you more money.

Hourly is for bizzare jobs ("hi, i haven't been plowed out all year yet and I need it done), things that can't be estimated well (I need this huge pile of snow moved, although even that can be so much per load), blizzard/wind blown conditions.

I typically do a per push divided into groups (2-6, 6-12, 4-8, etc), and anything over 12 inches (really rare out here, about once every 5 years) is so much per hour. Because you simply can't estimate well moving 3 feet of snow.
  7. Puddlejumper

Puddlejumper Member

Thanks for all the responses. I am sitting down in March to figure these lots out and will be incorporating your advice. Added to the headache is that we are going to be doing them with a skidsteer (tight locations etc.) these will be our first time incorporating a skid steer into the plowing aspect of our business.
  8. lawnproslawncar

lawnproslawncar Senior Member

Skiddy's won't be a problem for you. Just invest in a good set of tires, we have one company in town that got some snow tires for their's. I think michelin makes them
  9. Puddlejumper

Puddlejumper Member

Thanks I will have to look into that.

You are in Waupaca? Man I miss that area. I used to be the Chrysler DSM for that area and lived in Neenah. Going down to Ghostships in Milwaukee this March with some friends from your neck of the woods.