1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bidding Outlet Mall

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by MattELD, Oct 20, 2008.

1. MattELD

MattELD Junior Member

I'm bidding an outlet mall and could use some help with pricing. I usually do my estimates by the inch, using 3 inch increments. The lot is 5.75 acres with minimal curbs and/or obstacles. It is a pretty open lot with straight runs and plenty of areas to stage the snow.
    There are some walks and stairs, but a lot is covered by overhangs.
    I figured staring at 1-4 inches at $1470 and going up $500 every 3 inches.
    9 tons of rock salt at $95 a ton.
    Does this sound ok or ridiculous?
    Any advice is appreciated.

Matt

2. snowman55

snowman55 PlowSite.com Addict

I can plow 1 acre an hour. You charge $255 per hour? how many hrs for walks? increase per 3 inches is probly good. not bad money for plowing. I cant even buy rock salt at $95 a ton let alone spread, store and prepay for it. and 1.56 tons of salt per acre is way high. are you gonna bill 9 tons and put down 3? that will make your salt app profitable but its a way to common shady practice

3. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

where did you come up with 9 tons?

4. MattELD

MattELD Junior Member

That price includes shoveling walks, figuring 16 manhours to do walks, stairs, garbage enclosures and loading docks. As far as salt, we use 50/50 mix, not straight rock salt, I messed up. I have no real way to determine how much salt will be used for this site, since it will be the biggest site I've bidded on. 9 tons was figured by driving up and down the parking lot, at salting speed and imagining how many times I would have to refill the hopper. Is there a rate at which salt is apllied per acre, like x amount per x acres? That would be a big help.

5. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

Along with what Snowman said.......$255 Per hour. That seems like a crazy low amount of money to me. I know what I do plowing driveways, and its many many times that. I would think you need atleast $1000 an hour, and you certaintly arent doing that place with one pick up truck either. You are going to need some steel on the ground.

6. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

Without seeing any pictures, and assuming theres not any really long runs, i'd say you're right on. I would go up more than $500 per 3 inches though, 3 inches make a big difference on a property of that size. If there are long runs possibly a monthly retainer for a machine to sit there?

search for it on here, you'll find a varying degree of opinions, i base my quotes on 800 lbs per acre, but thats going to depend on the typical precip you get there.

Thats just crazy talk. I know around here and i would have to assume anywhere else you would get laughed out of the door with a price like that. We do all commercial, and some multi family residentials. most of our commercials are 1 acre or more, a truck can plow an acre an hour roughly. even our highest price highest priority furthest away properties arent at $255 an hour, let alone $1,000

7. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

So you make $1000/hour with your pickup, please tell me what I've been doing wrong for all these years.

8. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

Yea im obviously off base with that $1000 an hour on commercial plowing. My bad. $250 per hour just sounded low to me.

9. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

So your saying you average 1k/hour for both your trucks doing residential. So let's say you get $40 /driveway, you'd hve to do a driveway every 2.4 minutes to get 1k/hour and then you'd have to have a minimun of 150 driveways/truck to have a 3 hour route. Not trying to be an a%$ but if you want to throw numbers around, please explain how you got there.

10. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

I'm running some numbers through my head here, 13 trucks, 2 loaders, 3 skidsteers, 1k an hour, :dizzy: someone better alert the guy who posted earlier "is there any money to be made"

11. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

Matt,
    in my opinion your numbers seem viable although with salting(i know your using 50/50). keep in mind your better suited to watch the temperature throughout the storm, you may need to treat after every 3" inches or so. As to the amount of treated sand; you could get away with 600lbs.per acre; JMO

12. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

WOW this is kind of funny $1000 per hour real funny LOL

IMO i would probably be in the same ball park as you quoted Matt. But in my area that project would probably go for $1000 per push
    Id probably plan on 3 yards of salt per app.

13. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Really I thought 1k/hour was the going rate for a pickup.:rolleyes:

14. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

Its funny how all you can do is laugh about the truth. Ill bet you $50,000 I can show you every time sheet from every storm proving $1000 per hour.

15. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Then please explain, you've probably shoveled more snow then I've plowed, so I want some insight on how to make the big bucks.:drinkup:

16. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

WOW thats funny My 5 year old kid said she would bet you $1,000,000,000,000,000,00.00 that you cannot!

17. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

Put your money where your mouth is.

18. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

If I thought you were serious, I would have no problem spending time with you.

19. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I'm not joking, how many drives can you plow in an hour?

20. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

No, you are joking. Its okay. I know what I am capable of. I dont need people on PlowSite to belive me.