1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bidding on residental driveways

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by plucnik, Oct 27, 2002.

1. plucnik

plucnik Junior Member
    from Chicago

I live in a residential area (a suburb near Chicago) where there are a lot of driveways - I would like to establish a fair price for bidding this work (without resorting to "brain surgery"). I thought about a "minimum charge" based on a standard driveway of not more than 125 foot by 12 foot @ .30 foot or $37.50. Has anyone had experience in trying to do this? It seems that most of the posts refer to larger areas like parking lot etc. I think there may be a market for something like this in my area.
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Since this is a suburban area where similarity and confomity are the watchwords, you may only need to do this once and apply the results to all sites:

Map out your site, whether it's on paper or in your mind. How are you going to approach the job? Where are you going to put the snow? Are you going to be able to "push off" during runs? Is there room to "push back" far enough to allow for subsequent plowing? Map and stake all obstacles. Will you need to work around cars? Will you need to backdrag from the house/garage/vehicles? How will you carry off snowpiles if you need to and how will you charge for that? Will you be offering services other than basic snowplowing?

Now, how much do you calculate to make per hour and how long will it take to complete that area? Like I said, you may only need to do this once and apply the same to all sites. I'd want to visit each one before giving a price, though. There could still be factors (vehicles, lawn ornaments etc) that could affect the bottom line. Never, never give a quote over the phone without seeing the site :realmad:
  3. Snoworks

Snoworks Senior Member

What type of contracts are you going to be going after, seasonal or per plow? Your per plow pricing seems to be in the ballpark. Keep in mind that pricing it by the foot works fine, just visit the site to see if other conditions may warrant a higher price per foot.

There are alot of variables that go into plowing residential driveways, you must do you homework.

-Never overbook
    -Have a back up plan in case your truck breaks down
    -Does amout of residential work warrant purchase of plow.

Typically, when starting out with one truck, it will take you a couple of years to get the buisness off the ground.

There should be some good old threads on this residential subject, do a couple of searches.

If you don't find anything, and still need help send me an email!

4. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

The key to making money on residential accounts is keeping your clients clustered. You aren't making any money traveling between jobs, so you should target specific neighborhoods for your clientel.

In my area, the driveway you describe would get $25 per push, alittle more if there's a large parking area at the end.

Another consideration is street traffic, you can lose a lot of time if you're constantly waiting for traffic to clear so you can do your job.

I have a truck dedicated to residential accounts, and serve nearly 100 accounts without traveling outside a 3 mile radius of my home. If you prove yourself dependable, people will seek you out.