1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bidding on private road

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by Brant'sLawnCare, Nov 12, 2010.

1. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

I was asked to bid on a private road. It's a circle that is .5 miles long. It's about 21ft wide, and there is also a culdesac of normal size. I am gonna give them an hourly rate for my trucks. Don't know what my minimum should be though. I was gonna charge them $65 min. Is this about right? Also, for salt/sand I have no idea what to figure. Never bid on a road before.

Brant

2. leon

leon Senior Member

private road

I would provide them a seasonal charge and figure at least $400.00 U.S.D. per household minimum.

If you have to plow every day it wil add up quickly and that will not be advantageous for you if you are using trucks.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2010
  3. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

Brant, are you plowing just the road or are you doing the driveways that go to the houses also?

4. Brant'sLawnCare

Just the road. No driveways. For a 2" storm, I will probably be in and out in 30-45mins plus maybe 15 for salting.

5. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

Are the man holes flush? Curbs level? Will drifting be a major problem?

Forget the hourly. If you bid this year hourly based on a 2500 truck & 8ft. plow, what happens if I come in there and bring my L8000 with 12 ft. plow, 9 ft. wing and spread the salt on my way out.
    What I'm saying is; give them a lump per time or seasonal and find faster ways to complete this job as you grow.
    To help you out, 3 passes each way with a truck in a average snow, 1000 lbs. salt. Now go calculate your time by driving this route at the speed you'd plow. Multiply the numbers, use a hourly or minimum, add a profit margin and done....
    (fyi-$175 per time plow and salt)

6. Brant'sLawnCare

Manholes are flush and there are no curbs. There are shoulders. It's a lot nicer than the job we looked at in Jackson... The company last year was charging $60/hr with a 1 hr minimum. And they were charging $.20/lb for salt. I can be cheaper than that (for salt).

7. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

I would bid it per push and by the 100lb for salt

If you want to get more in to detail PM me, we provide service for a whole village.