1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bidding on hud homes

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Plowman52, Oct 5, 2009.

1. Plowman52

Plowman52 Senior Member
    from Flint

i am just wondering if it is worth all the work to bid on the hud homes.....

i have never tryed and was thinking about it also what does hud usally pay for the huds to get plowed ( like a 15 width and 25 length driveway) ????

i am just wondering .......

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I bid on their senior apartment homes this yr. The bid sheet was a piece of paper with the address on it and you wrote down the seasonal price then divided it by 5 for the monthly price, They wanted proof of truck insurance minimum 1 million submitted with the bid. I wasn't going to do it but they called me and asked if I was bidding on it. Told them no because I wasn't going to spend the money on the insurance just to bid it. They told me to submit it anyways with a note with their ok to do it. But they'll give it to the same guy from last year anyways.

3. Plowman52

Plowman52 Senior Member
    from Flint

I use my personal truck where u get auto insurance for a million at?

4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

If your plowing for money you need commercial truck insurance because your personal won't cover anything if your plowing. Just ask your agent. Don't forget your General Liability also.

5. Plowman52

Plowman52 Senior Member
    from Flint

well i do have general liablity because i dont some arby's in my area. but i will go and ask my insurance company

6. dfdsuperduty

dfdsuperduty Senior Member

general liability is very different than commercial liability

7. nms0219

nms0219 Senior Member

Did not know hud pays to plow empty hud homes. Hell i know they dont pay to mow them untill the town cites them for 3' grass

8. Turf Commando

Turf Commando Senior Member

I have commercial auto on 3 vehicles 1 Million coverage and have liability of 1 million, plus an umbrella that covers anything over the million ....I get insurance bills bi weekly .....

9. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

Those B#$tards!
    Always in your pocket...

10. Plowman52

Plowman52 Senior Member
    from Flint

where do you get your insurance at

11. MeeksCo

MeeksCo Senior Member

I plowed HUD homes last year.
    What a pain.
    Most HUD homes are managed by supervisors in their specific area.
    The ones in my area did not want the drives plowed until it was maybe 1'-2'6" of snow. IT WAS RIDICULOUS.
    They paid $10 per drive. I did some researching, and the supervisor get's paid $30 per drive and he was only paying me $10.
    I maybe plowed about 125 houses twice last year. So if you can imagine how much snow accumulated.
    I would go out and make $600+ on one night and another 6 the next. Sloppy job and they only asked to have it plowed up to the back of the house and a single lane with the walk to one door cleared. Did not spend more then 5-10 minutes on each home.

I am sure they are different in other states/areas. For example, one company or managment firm would be contracted by the government to hire supervisors in specific areas throughout, let's say, two or three states. The supervisors can either do it themselves and make buck or hire others. Most hire others.

That was my experience and .02

12. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Did they pay though?

Wouldn't be a bad gig if you are sitting around bored inbetween storms.