1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bidding on a Shopping Mall ? Anyone know where to start?

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by Snow65, Oct 16, 2008.

1. Snow65

Snow65 Junior Member

Just wondering if anyone has experience with bidding on a medium sized shopping mall. It is a full scale mall.... not huge but definately not small. I would guess about 50 to 60 stores plus the anchor stores.

My stuff is normally smaller commercial strip type centers that we can do in an hour or two so I don't want to underprice and lose my butt...... but at the same time, I don't want to overbid and not even have a chance.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. salopez

salopez Senior Member

start by walking the lot!

break it down to smaller sections and measure it out.

think of each section as a strip center.

find the things that others will miss...courtyards, trash forts...figure all that time into bid.

3. Snow65

Snow65 Junior Member

Lot size

If I had to guess, based on similar lots..... I would say it's in the area of 3 million sq feet. plus entrances & walks.

4. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

Once I get into the larger lots (I did a bid for Fed Ex this season), I start measuring & revert to production numbers. It is the only accurate way to do it. Most stuff I can ball park, but large lots I still get out & measure. You could also ask the client, they may know the square footage (from sealcoating or paving bids), I had one tell me as they had just had it sealcoated, number seamed about right.

5. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Take a measuring wheel and wheel the whole place that way we can talk acres. At least this would be a start
    Not to be a d!ck but who cares how many stores, One or sixty im not shopping Im plowing the lot

6. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

Where in the world is 19050 anyways?

7. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

the mighty town of lansdowne pa wesport

8. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

It's right beside 19051.:rolleyes:

9. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

know your equipment and your capabilities before putting numbers together.

10. Snow65

Snow65 Junior Member

Just giving the number of stores to give an idea of the size of property. It's approx 3 million sq ft.

11. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

The parking lot is 3 million sq/ft? Almost 69 acres.

12. Snow65

Snow65 Junior Member

Uhh... about that. Give or take an acre or two. It's not a small place.

13. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Well I would consider that a large place and yes I know how to bid it here in a seasonal contract, Didn't they give you a spec sheet? Around here any place that big knows what they want and you bid to their specs. What equipment do you plan on using?

14. Snow65

Snow65 Junior Member

They gave me a property map. Snow pretty much gets piled around the perimeter. I have multiple trucks available and will probably wind up renting or purchasing a loader or two.

Just not sure how to do a seasonal rate on something like this. I've seen 6 to 8 trucks in there for 10 to 15 hours with a storm.

If I do hourly.... and pick $100/hr to make it easy.....that's about $10k for a snowfall.... just for labor. More if I go $125/hr and try to make some money on it. Is a $150k seasonal rate unreasonable? It sounds like ALOT of money but it is a big property. How do I figure in profit on something like this? There is also a huge liability on injuries and I'm sure crap will roll downhill..... right to me.

The more I think about it.... the more I am scratching my head.

15. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

Don't even bother with trucks in there. Use them somewhere more suitable. Loaders and tractors is the way to go if you'd ask me. And I'd think you'd most probably need more than a couple.

16. Snow65

Snow65 Junior Member

They normally do the property with about 6 trucks and 2 loaders for a 3" snow. It's big but probably not as bad as it sounds. Most areas are broken down into smaller sections that a truck can handle during a normal snowfall. Anything over 8-10 inches.... well, that's a different story.

17. Superior L & L

from MI

WOW ive got to move to your town. I cannot believe they would allow you to take 10-15 hours to plow a mall. I think any more than 7-8 hours and your in trouble.

The thought of dealing with trucks on a lot like that would drive me nuts!:dizzy::cry:

My equipement Choice # 1
    (2) 3 yd Loaders with 20" push boxes
    (2) 3/4 ton pick up with 8' blades

Equipement Choice #2
    (3)1yd loader/backhoes with 12-14' push boxes
    (2) (2) 3/4 ton pick up with 8' blades

Choice #2 would allow you to be working three different areas at once and one area will not have to wait 7 hours after the storm to be cleared.

other thought??? what about salt you are going to need a tri axles for salting
    and what about walks

Pricing : I know in my area we would not get $100.00 per hour on a property that size.
    I know I'll take a lashing for this but im going to say $6-7,000 per push
    oh and make sure you get a couple of million dollar umbrella policy added to your coverage its a lot cheaper than you think

Last edited: Oct 16, 2008
  18. salopez

salopez Senior Member

this is the worlds largest lot for the worlds smallest mall!

This makes no sense!

My main mall is 50 acres of lot plus 3 multi floor garages! it has over 200 stores plu then 6anchors and all the eateries and the 4 resturants outside. why on earth would you need almost 70 acres for 50 stores?

and yes trucks are a waste of time other then for running roads and entrances.

19. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

general consesus on PS is 1 acre/hr so 70 acres times $100=$7000 sounds about right

Cmcjay
    i would definatly measure the lot, go buy a wheel and hold it out the truck window it will be worth it

Last edited: Oct 16, 2008
  20. Superior L & L

from MI

My thought was
    $350.00 per hour per big loader
    $100.00 per hour per truck
    then plan on being able to do 10acres per hour or about 7 hours for the property.

OK CMC who do I address my bid to im moving to your town! prsport