1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

bidding on a self storage

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by szxjw3, Sep 7, 2007.

1. szxjw3

szxjw3 Junior Member

I am bidding on my first self storage complex, can anyone give me some advice on what to watch out for? Looks like about 3.5 hrs of work for one truck with a std blade.
    Any advice would be helpful.

2. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

I've rented at a couple different places and done light clean up as a courtesy while at one. Long runs in aisles that call for pushing all the snow to the end may take more passes than you expect, to clear it all. Consider if you will be able to get there early enough in a storm to clear such an aisle before the snowfall gets to be too deep. It will also require a pretty large area to pile snow and to push back the pile when it needs it. You may also have lots of snow blown into the aisles from the roof top during windy snowfalls. Will you be responsible for clearing snow away from the doors?

3. szxjw3

szxjw3 Junior Member

A small ridge in front of the door is ok. Just can't pile it up there.
    All the snow has to go to the end of the building.

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

What are the roofs like? the local storage area is a customer and they whine about it constantly. They have a V blade and a straight blade and use both. Their complaint is that the snow on the roof slides down in to the lanes for a couple days after the storm. they have to go out every couple hours to clear up the snow piles from between the buildings. Could be a repetitive job. be sure to price return trips as a separate item or you could end up stuck doing the place every day over and over for your base rate.

5. Snowpower

Snowpower Senior Member

I do one storage place. Have done others.

I have a 7'6" straight blade (for now)

Both Basher and streetsurfers advice is excellent. I have to go back once or twice (or more) per year and bucket the piles at the ends of the runs out their snow gates which are at all four corners of the site.

Cut it as close to the doors as possible. Watch those mirrors!!! lol

I usually actually hang my head out when next to the doors and make sure Im close and keep it there. They will appreciate it. My place has an 18" minimum. I get within 6. Sometimes closer.

You will become or should become proficient at moving a lot of snow quickly, back and forthing it. Massaging it all down to the ends. I cut my teeth plowing self storage places. I think its a great place to learn efficiency.

Watch out for all those poles around the buildings. heh. They dont mix with anything on your truck.

Id add some wings to your plow if you are able. I am and it will make a load of difference.