1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bidding on a new job

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by DJs Lawncare, Jan 7, 2008.

1. DJs Lawncare

DJs Lawncare Member

I am bidding on a new job. I don't really know what to bid on a job this size. I am figuring gonna have to do it with a backhoe with 12' pusher. They want it done at 2". They want a price on per push and season. We average about 120" per season. It is a manufacturing/warehouse. The building itself is 281,753 sq. ft.

Google Maps:
    http://maps.google.com/maps/mm?q=65...76.073349&spn=0.004403,0.009484&t=h&z=16&om=0

Live Search Maps
    http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v...ture Gear Dr,East Syracuse,NY 13057&encType=1

Last edited: Jan 7, 2008
  2. firelwn82

firelwn82 PlowSite.com Addict

Thats gonna be alot of work for one hoe and a 12 foot pusher. Not only that but the pavement is in really really bad shape. If you use the second map url you can zoom in really close and see its destroyed. In my opinion they don't have enough money to pay me to destroy my equipment.

3. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

wow, that's one big freaking building
    ok, so break it down into smaller lots
    entry way road to the left (all the way to back), and that little parking lot upper left: 30minutes
    big double parking lot up front (on the top): let's call it 2 hours
    entry way road on right side of picture and that little lot/entry on the right: 30 minutes cuz it looks like backdragging in that little lot

huge lot in back: 2.5 hours. Probably always going to have cars/trucks in it

so, that's 5.5 hours for one truck for 1 to 4 inches.
    let's add another hour for backdragging in the back esp on the lower left side (looks like extra stuff in there) and working around cars, etc
    so 6.5 hours for one P/U truck ?????

I think you're going to need a big pusher and a truck. The truck to do the little spots and back dragging and the roads and the hoe to move it all around and do the big lots. Be a lot more efficient that way. Probably take 2 to 3 hours that way. Definately add in an annoying factor, I'm sure there are always trucks and cars there. (24 hour warehouse right?).

4. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

It's a perfect job for a 12 ft pusher. 4 hours on a 2-6" snow fall, depending on snow placement and who's driving the pusher. That job if it was in my area, I would probably sell them the idea of leaving the pusher on site and having that machine dedicated to them. Figure out what you want to make for the year out of the back hoe and go from there. Seasonal pricing is much better IMO and then they have the insurance of always having a machine on site. I can't comment on price because your area is different then mine

5. DJs Lawncare

DJs Lawncare Member

I am not sure if it is a 24 hour facility. I am thinking about the hoe with the pusher vs trucks because of the time to do with trucks. How much is the average hourly rate for a backoe with the pusher? I was guessing about $25000-$30000 for the season. I don't know if i am inline with that or if i am too high or low.

6. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

IMO your right, but I'm not in your area. Are you spreading the salt there too?

7. DJs Lawncare

DJs Lawncare Member

As far as I know just plowing. Although if it was salting also it would probably be like double that,

8. NLS1

NLS1 Senior Member

Wow, good luck, hope it works out for ya! I just have a question, you said that you average 120" per season with a 2" trigger. That in theory is 55-60 visits? Is that right? If you are charging 30K you are getting $500 per visit. That is one big place for $500 in my opinion. Now if it only takes 4hrs each time I guess thats not too bad, about $125/hr. 4 hoursx 60 visits=240 man hours. $30,000 - [(240 hoursx .....? for hired help) + (240x....? for machine cost) + (240x#of gallons of diesel fuel per hourx $3.50/gallon) + insurance rider for that huge place + other misc costs of business]= What?
    Seems like a lot of hassle for that kind of money unless you do it all yourself and have no employees doing it. Maybe I am way out in left field? Just my $.02

9. DJs Lawncare

DJs Lawncare Member

Well we get 120" for the season but sometimes we will get 3-6 inches snowfalls etc. Typically on average we have 30-40 plowable events. I was figuring $30,000 for the rest of this year. I am thinking that for a full year it would be more in the range of $40--50,000. We have had 57 inches of snow this year thus far. I believe that I have plowed 13 times with a 2" trigger. Sometimes we will get an inch but that melts from the sun during the day.

10. DUMZ

DUMZ Senior Member

i second that

11. NLS1

NLS1 Senior Member

Now that sounds much better!!!!payup:D

12. wishin4snoww

wishin4snoww Junior Member
    from S.E. MI

i hope your talking about the rough pavement because a 12 ft pusher will knock that lot out in no time you'll be telling him to slow down.