1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bidding Larger Properties

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by 32below, Aug 14, 2014.

1. 32below

32below Junior Member

Hey Guys- I'm bidding some larger properties this year and just wanted to throw some numbers out there to see what you guys think.

#1- Roughly 1,995,000 sq/ft... Mostly wide open I priced at $8000/push
    #2- Roughly 460,000 sq/ft... Again mostly wide open $1800/push
    #3- Roughly 180,000 sq/ft... Wide open with just a couple islands $700/push

I'm thinking I'm right where I need to be for the smaller lots but not sure about that #1 lot. I'm in this to make money not just win bids.

Thanks!

2. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Will the big lot require you to carry 35 acres of snow to one spot for piling, or is there plenty of close by stacking space? If there is plenty of close space, I think you are close.
    1,995,000 =45.6 acres or thereabouts. 8000/45 is $177 per acre.
    $177 / acre is right where I am too, but I only have a pickup and 9.5 V. Costs go up with big loaders and guys to drive them.

3. Ne1

Ne1 Senior Member

Around here $125 an acre is going rate...

4. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Here you would be high.

5. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

125 an acre seems to be the rate here as well. Close to the 180 range is way out there unless your doing something that I would consider special for the, property like carrying the snow to all one pile, or taking large amounts out of a fenced in area, ect.

6. Buswell Forest

from NH

I can see $125 per acre if it's open and allows a large pusher. An acre would go quick.
    But this is 45 acres.
    I would think a job of this size would require serious allocation of large equipment, personnel and time. That alone is worth a premium, isn't it?
    Serious question, as I clearly am learning what these larger lots require and go for.

7. Ne1

Ne1 Senior Member

Seems like the larger the property the cheaper the price is per acre

8. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

The first one I can't be of much help, that's bigger than we mess with.

The second is about mid range size for us. If you were pricing where our service areas are, you'd be way too high on it, and the third one, you're also too high. If you're in NYC, I could see where these would be reasonable numbers, however I'd never do anything of the size of that first lot on a per push price...

9. 32below

32below Junior Member

thanks guys for your input. That's what I was thinking heavier equipment, fuel, and operators to
    run the equipment price goes up?.. You're looking at around $1000 for a fuel bill everytime you have to plow for the larger lot. I'm interested to hear what Grandviews take is on this since since he is in NY.

10. 32below

32below Junior Member

Here's a picture of the largest and larger properties. Maybe this will help. Thanks

image.jpg

11. 32below

32below Junior Member

Here is the medium sized property

image.jpg

12. Ne1

Ne1 Senior Member

Doesn't look like 35 acres from that picture

13. 32below

32below Junior Member

it's not.. it's 45.8 acres

14. Ne1

Ne1 Senior Member

The first picture you posted is 45 acres?

15. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Pic taken from moon?

I agree with you. It doesn't look it.

16. 32below

32below Junior Member

yes, plowable area is 45.8 acres..looks small in the picture but it's all of 45 acres.. I had to zoom way out in order to get the whole lot in the picture

17. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Where is the mainly wide open areas?

18. 32below

32below Junior Member

I guess you got me there 1olddogtwo.. basically each of the three larger sections.. I guess you wouldn't say it was wide open but it fairly open when on the property

19. Buswell Forest

from NH

The large property, are those all tractor trailer boxes at the top and on the lower left? Are you including the walks as plowable area?
    From the pic, it seems like 8k per push is a lot. But the pic is misleading if it's truly 45 acers.

Can you show us the lots on findlotsize.com? Maybe save the pic and blurr out the addy and such?

20. Buswell Forest

from NH

I estimate the top lot in the large bid to have 16 acres +/-...if those are tt boxes and they are 45' long?