1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bidding large Parking lots

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Dave M, Aug 21, 2003.

1. Dave M

Dave M Junior Member
    from Maine

Hi. I am new to this Forum but not new to snow plowing and removal. Here lies my problem, I have been plowing since was 14 but I have never had to do any of the bidding for the large sites. I bid drive ways per push but I am now dealing with shopping centers. I know in my area these centers like per season pricing so that they can budget for it. The contracts in the area run from Nov.-April 1st, I throw in a excessive snow clause, an after season clause and a trucking clause if snow needs to be trucked off site. I just do not know how to come up with pricing. I will be using loaders with push boxes, backhoes with plows and push boxes, skid steers with plows, 10 wheeler dump trucks and 4x4s. I will also lock in the price of sanding either by the yard or hour. Any help I can get would be great. Job promotions always have hidden catches and this is the one that got laid in my lap.
  2. wyldman

wyldman Member

You need sizing for the parking lots,square footage of sidewalks,etc.

Then you can calculate the total area to be plowed.A typical truck can clear an acre an hour,or aprrox 43,000 square feet.You can then figure how many hours would be required.Add time for difficult areas with a lot of obstacles.You can calculate everything based on truck hours,even if your using bigger equipment.

You will need to get some local climate data to determine the number of plowable events above your trigger point.Around here it's 17-19 based on an average 2" trigger.

So your time required X your hourly rate X estimated number of plowable events will give you a seasonal price.

I'd advise that you charge for salting per ton,or per application,and not hourly.Do not lock in a price for salting,as if the price of bulk salt goes through the roof due to shortage,you cannot adjust pricing accordingly.