1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bidding "keep open" accounts

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by polarplowing, Sep 25, 2008.

1. polarplowing

polarplowing Member

I have mainly stayed with hotels, apartments, churches, and residential. My question is how do you guys bid lots like McDonald's or banks where you have to keep them open during big storms? Do you just bill hourly? or do you just bid them high and hope you don't have to plow much? Here in ND, people rarely accept hourly contracts. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Bid it seasonal or if they want it per push just put them in rotation with your other lots

3. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

I think we charge a flat rate per visit that is reduced from the rate we charge for a full cleaning.

4. dirtmandan2

dirtmandan2 Senior Member

I have 2 banks that i " keep clean " I do this by the hour... However if it were a flat rate it would still work out.. 10" total snowfall... You bill the rate for the 10" snowfall but you went there 2 x's already, now its done snowing and you go back your final time and plow off the last couple inches and what you couldnt get to previously.

5. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

We just bill for each time we service the lot unless it's on a seasonal contract

6. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

Give them a flat rate to plow the whole thing. Then give a less than flat rate to come back and plow the drive through & lanes. It really shouldn't take long to hit the drive through so hourly won't make you much money. Plus they don't want hourly.

I would put in there that you will return every 1" or 2" or what ever to do the drive through. OR say you will be back every hour during a storm.

It can be a pain to plow a drive through with everyone else ordering and getting their food.

Good Luck

7. polarplowing

polarplowing Member

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

8. BigLou80

BigLou80 Senior Member

Don't forget to include some time for sidewalks and multiple salt applications between plows. Around here keep open also means for walk up customers so simply comming through with the plow every hour isn't going to cut it.We usually plow and shovel the walk and apply some salt to get you more then an hour between trips

Lou

9. polarplowing

polarplowing Member

Oh yeah, I did forget about that. Thanks

10. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

Sent you a PM