1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bidding help

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by DJ Contracting, Aug 4, 2008.

1. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

Ok thanks to Snofarmer i now have the image that i need so any help would be appreciated.

Anybody that has experience plowing sub-division roadways the one in question is approximately .5 of a mile with two cul-de-sacs we will be bidding both the roadway and all the driveways in this condo unit. (new roadway and sidewalks)

1. 16 double unit condo driveways (36w X 45 deep)
    2. 6 single unit driveways (18w X 45 deep)
    3.10 foot long sidewalks going from driveway to front door 38 in all
    4 .8 of a mile of 5' wide sidewalk
    5. .5 of a mile of roadway
    Now they want this bid in 2-5, 5-9, 9+ snowfall (No salt)

I however would like to go in and quote it at $10,500 for the season they said they spent $8,500 last season and we had 18 plow-able events (good for this part). At $10,500 divided by 5 month (Nov. -March) that would be $2,100 every month any thoughts would help. Thanks Joe

Bay%20City%2C%20Michigan%2CCoventry%20Drive.JPG

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

So your only doing from yellow line to yellow ? What about the other stuff?

3. DJ Contracting

Yea only the yellow part and the red dots which mark the driveways, and the south is an old existing sub-division which is not a part of the association.

4. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

My first question is if they paid $8 last year, why are you bidding $10? Won't they just go with last years bidder? Yea, I know gas prices, you offer better service, etc. But money is money.

Second, are you sure the county or city doesn't plow the streets? Is the south side public or is it another HOA?

If it were me, I would look at something to clear the drives & sidewalks besides the trucks or snow blowers. I personaly use a Kubota with a 50" blower on the front and a 6' back blade. Use the back blade to drag the drives to the street and then either use the blower to put it on their lawn or the truck to push it out of the way. It would also do the long sidewalks and the shorter ones up to the houses. This would probably free up one of the other trucks to do other jobs.

I think your prices are low. If you bid $10,500 for 18 events that is $583 per event. If you figure it at 16 doubles is 32, plus 6 singles is 38. Basicly you have 38 drives and sidewalks to plow. $583 / 38 = $15.35 per house per event. And the .5 mile of road is free. Of course last year they spent $12.42 per house per event.

I would think that the .5 mile road would take 2 down and backs or 2 miles of road. You could do that in what 15 minutes. $75 per hour x .25 hours = $18.75. I wouldn't do it for that little, but it gives you an idea.

Just my .02 Good Luck

5. DJ Contracting

This is what i have so far however at these prices i'm still way over their budget but i don't want to work for free, also this does not include the roadway yet. As far as the sidewalks go in front of the condo units last year it was up to the owners to clear that may apply this year too, because the sidewalks will be going on a separate bid., thanks Joe
    BTW the increments of snowfall were there doings.

Snow plowing 2”-5” snow fall
    Double unit driveways and sidewalks up to ft. dr. ea time $560.00

Snow plowing 2”-5”snow fall
    Single driveways and sidewalks up to ft. dr. ea. time $150.00

Snow plowing 5”-9” snow fall
    Double unit driveways and sidewalks up to ft. dr. ea time $650.00

Snow plowing 5”-9” snow fall
    Double unit driveways and sidewalks up to ft. dr. ea time $240.00

Snow plowing 9+”- snow fall
    Double unit driveways and sidewalks up to ft. dr. ea time $750.00

Snow plowing 9+”- snow fall
    Double unit driveways and sidewalks up to ft. dr. ea time $350.00

Roadways and cul-de-sacs 2”-5” ea. Time $

So you can see on a 2-5 the total for the driveway alone are $710.00

6. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

In my market they would look at you like you were nuts with those numbers. From what I understand, your market is similiar, so good luck.

7. Enzo

Enzo Senior Member

That prcing is crazy, some small commercial lots around here go for that. I start Driveways at $40 and go up to $100 depending on the snowfall

8. DJ Contracting

Well i didn't get the contract they thought my bid was to high which is fine. I have learned over the years not to work for free or next to free, it's funny how i had several people come out while i walked the grounds and complained about the people that have done it the past years but obviously they are not that upset. I'll find out from a friend that lives in the condos who and what they are paying this year.

9. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

That sucks. Let us know how it compaired to yours.

I lost my largest contract this year by being under bid. Now I have to replace the money.